New Age Therapy Makes Clients Uninsurable

originally posted by Mackaroo

There is a therapy out there called EWOT (exercise with oxygen therapy) used to treat real or imagined fibromyalgia.

Re-read my post. She has NOT been diagnosed with fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia syndrome affects the muscles and soft tissue. Symptoms include chronic muscle pain, fatigue, sleep problems, and painful tender points or trigger points, which can be relieved through medications, lifestyle changes and stress management.

Of all the illnesses to imagine, why would one imagine fibromyalgia?

So, she either has it, or imagines she has it and in any case she must be experiencing symptoms or she wouldn't be taking oxygen therapy.

In all due respect Mackaroo, I think there's a lot more going on with this lady than she's leading you to believe.

Re-read my post. She has NOT been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and takes no meds except for the oxygen. That same oxygen treatment is said to be effective for curing whatever ails ya: go on the site and see, It claims to have anti aging properties as well.
Update: GTL (Critical Illness type) says they will accept an application but they want her doctors records (they usually don't get them) because they don't quite believe that oxygen is used to treat fibromyalgia, real or imagined.
One more time: She has not been diagnosed for fibromyalgia and doesn't have severe anything.
It looks like treatment for what may well be a psychosomatic complaint will make someone uninsurable.

At the very least they may be concerned she is a hypochondriac seeking pseudoscience and there may be serious underlying mental issues that may effect her health with bad decisions.

:D

This is beginning to sound like one of my appointments with a client I thought was going to breeze through underwriting.

It gets worse. The person MOO sent out to interview them was a very large woman. She sat down in an antique chair and broke it. The client does not want to go through this again and will not look at the GTL or any other application unless it is guaranteed because the last application cost them so much.

It gets worse. The person MOO sent out to interview them was a very large woman. She sat down in an antique chair and broke it. The client does not want to go through this again and will not look at the GTL or any other application unless it is guaranteed because the last application cost them so much.

My experience is that once a case goes off the rails a bit, it remains so and there's no telling what will occur but it usually does.

Maybe I am missing something, why did she apply with MoO LTC when taking Oxygen is listed as a decline in the underwriting guide?

Possibly a "pre-qual" with an underwriter gave some hope in this situation ?

She hadn't revealed the therapy to me. She said she took no meds.

Lol. This is why the speed dating approach to LTCi is so much better. It's so much easier not going on appointments, and just doing everything over the phone in 7 minutes or less. I would be ticked off to carve out 3-4 hours in my day to get blindsided. I like the consumers that tell you they are on no meds. Then, the more questions you ask, you learn they used to be prescribed all kinds of meds for hbp, chronic fatigue, diabetes but "doctors are all quacks" so they stopped taking meds. Yayy, they are not on meds.... Whoohooo.....(Declined for non compliance) :)

Back