New Agent at BLC Any Tips?

That was a pretty rude thing to say. - I am new to insurance but definitely not new to sales. - To rebuttal your training remarks, BLC was ranked 88th in training. That is much better than some companies I have worked for in the past. Not to mention our branch manager came from the #1 office in the company. That being said I am not going out there looking to lie or misguide any client, nor would I allow a fellow agent to push me in that direction. - Now that we have established the fact that I'm not going anywhere, if anyone has some other type of advice I would appreciate it. (Web resources, seminars, or anything else I can read and/or participate in)

That was pretty rude. Insulting family members should be off-limits.

Here is the top training site: Medicare Training 101
Send me a PM if you have any specific questions, I've been in the senior field for a number of years.
Good luck out there!

Nobody likes Bankers, the only advice we can all say is, quit now while you can get out and not have a ton of chargebacks.
I go right behind you and take your customers and put them into an affordable plan and you then chase your tail to get caught up again.
Sell for any other company.

I started at Bankers Life, worked there for 4 years. I won "building the practice", was awarded their "rising Star" award, qualified for convention and went on most quarterly trips. I was successful at being unsuccessful. I definitely had guzzled my share of the MacArthur punch. I only say I was "unsuccessful" because I wasn't doing what was right for my clients. It will weigh on you as you build relationships with some of them and you know your selling them subpar products.

When I left, the people who I thought were my "friends" went around re-writing my policies and gave me thousands in chargebacks which I had to repay. My advice take it or leave it is to get out of BLC, go independent and get MUCH better commissions while selling your clients quality products.

That was a pretty rude thing to say. - I am new to insurance but definitely not new to sales. - To rebuttal your training remarks, BLC was ranked 88th in training. That is much better than some companies I have worked for in the past. Not to mention our branch manager came from the #1 office in the company. That being said I am not going out there looking to lie or misguide any client, nor would I allow a fellow agent to push me in that direction. - Now that we have established the fact that I'm not going anywhere, if anyone has some other type of advice I would appreciate it. (Web resources, seminars, or anything else I can read and/or participate in)

I agree that was a pretty rude thing to say and completely out of place. Many agents on this forum cut their teeth at BLC but most left because of the ethics of the company and their agents.

Thanks for explaining the reasons! I do appreciate you taking time to respond. I am a former Marine, I would be shocked if anyone was able to make me compromise my values and character for money.

----------

I do know what to look out for now though, thank you!

Listen to every agent who took the time to tell you to steer clear of Bankers.

They, like AmeriLife, recruit good people like yourself, train them exactly as to what to say and do to get the manager/branch leader back into the house for the big sale. You will like the regiment being ex military so you really need to reread the responces here.

I never worked for them but did meet with a local GM eight years ago and everybody there looked miserable, plus your friends and family will be your first set of "leads"!

Here's how it happens; you don't know come here from sick'em about insurance and even less about Medicare. They will teach you crap you don't know is crap and you'll go out there preaching it like it is written in the Bible. The best thing you can do for you and your family, is try and confirm everything they say is fact and sets them apart, check out your competition that they say is so bad, read the Medicare regs and publications, time and time again. It won't take you long to find the holes in the mess they are selling you.

Good luck.

Okay I know I will take some abuse....I am very happy I began my career with Bankers before moving over to NYL. I learned a lot about how Branches in the same company can be so different. Unlike most agencies I was quickly on my own unless I was training a new agent (okay the ridiculusness of an agent with 2 months experience training another agent is something we can talk about).

You can look at the Bankers training videos that have been exposed and I can tell you that it depends on the person I was successful without having to lower my ethics. It was work because we were not the cheapest but then again anyone working for a captive has been in that position once or twice.

Why did I leave when my branch was not that bad? Because I am in Maine and at the time the number 3 branch was also in my state. They were trained to get in a house and when they found a policy they would tell the customer unfortunatly I was no longer with the company and had done somethings that were not in thier best interest and would replace my policy....

Now it is bad enough fighting against other companies but when your own company undermines you why would you stay. I left after 4 months. I sat through 4 monthly meetings and at each meeting there was at least 4 agents complaining about other Bankers agents replacing thier business. Then came the realization that at the time the branch was required to appoint 36 new agents a year no quota on agents staying so the management team which was 1 branch manager, 1 unit sales manager and 1 or 2 ADAs (these were more experienced agents that wanted to try management they typically tried it for a couple months and realized it was more hassle than it was worth). So the managers where constantly recruiting or doing the short classroom training and how come a 2 month agent was training a new agent in the field.

I looked around and figured out my agency had many 15 plus year agents (on an older contracts that provided subsidies to get new agents up and running and no longer offered) and then there was a big break down to a couple agents at 5 years and 1 agents at years 3 and 4 and a couple more second year agents. I was appointed in Sept and in December looked back at the records of all agents appointed for that year I had to get to August to still have anyone still with the company.

So if you want to spend time at a captive where you will sell a product that is standardized/modernized by the government with the only difference being price and knowing you can be beat by agents with access to more products and to realize that the agent level commissions lack what you can get as a street level agent on the independet side then you should have a long career with Bankers.

Having said all that I think it can be difficult to start right out the gate as an independent. Bankers gives you some training gets you training on getting in front of people setting appointments etc. Just realize not everything they tell you is 100% accurate.

Thanks for explaining the reasons! I do appreciate you taking time to respond. I am a former Marine, I would be shocked if anyone was able to make me compromise my values and character for money.

----------

And the Bankers Life GM would be shocked *shocked* if any of his agents did anything wrong/illegal/immoral/sleazy/not so nice.! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Stick with the posters on this thread/forum shawn, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (sorry again, couldn't resist a little Casa Blanca humor on a Friday!)

----------

Thank you for your services to our country.

Back