New Agent at BLC Any Tips?

I'm a new agent working with Bankers Life and Casualty. Does anyone have any advice?

Do not:

Let them recieve your leads before you do (you probably have no choice)
Let them copy your leads (they will anyway)
Leave anything out on your desk

Do:

Read your contract carefully-especially about vesting
Compare other products-make sure you are competitive
Prepare to leave renewals when you leave

I'm sure you want to do what's right for the client. But it's hard not to have to lie to your clients when your med supps are the highest in the area. You'll be forced to talk about how other companies have high increases and they don't pay claims fast or whatnot. You'll be forced to lie but you won't know at first that you are

Thanks for explaining the reasons! I do appreciate you taking time to respond. I am a former Marine, I would be shocked if anyone was able to make me compromise my values and character for money.

----------

I do know what to look out for now though, thank you!
FORMER Marine?????????????????????

Tips?
As a former Bankers agent, I can tell you it will be very hard to make paycheck without lying to your prospects, because of how overpriced their products are.
If you do somehow stay honest, and can survive the first year on the small paychecks you'll be making be as an honest agent, you'll just be fired around month 14 because your not producing the $2000 per month minimum.
If your truly a honest and principled as you say you are, you will not be there a year from now, either because you see the writing on the wall or because you cant make minimum production.
If you are... then congrats because Bankers pays awesome commissions and renewals on their medsupps.

Everyone who took the time to offer me the advice you have, I greatly appreciate it. I will be keeping an eye out for anything that seems unethical. I appreciate the knowledge about our med sup premium costs in comparison to competitors. It sounds like I will be doing a lot more of selling my self and building trust with the client as opposed to putting focus on the cost comparison. I'm looking to approach each client as though they were my parents. I understand how idealistic that sounds. I just do not believe in compromising my values to make a sale. If that causes me to lose my job then that is a shame. I have never put less than 100% effort into any job I have ever had and don't plan on starting now. I made a commitment to this company and will not back out now. I will be checking in on here and posting about how I am doing. I am hoping there is a large disparity in sales practices between my office and the experiences many of you have had. Thank you again to everyone who took a few minutes to write me your thoughts. ----as far as the FORMER Marine comment haha I understand the "once a Marine always a Marine." thing. I guess I should have said that I am a Marine Vet.

Everyone who took the time to offer me the advice you have, I greatly appreciate it. I will be keeping an eye out for anything that seems unethical. I appreciate the knowledge about our med sup premium costs in comparison to competitors. It sounds like I will be doing a lot more of selling my self and building trust with the client as opposed to putting focus on the cost comparison. I'm looking to approach each client as though they were my parents. I understand how idealistic that sounds. I just do not believe in compromising my values to make a sale. If that causes me to lose my job then that is a shame. I have never put less than 100% effort into any job I have ever had and don't plan on starting now. I made a commitment to this company and will not back out now. I will be checking in on here and posting about how I am doing. I am hoping there is a large disparity in sales practices between my office and the experiences many of you have had. Thank you again to everyone who took a few minutes to write me your thoughts. ----as far as the FORMER Marine comment haha I understand the "once a Marine always a Marine." thing. I guess I should have said that I am a Marine Vet.

I wish you the best of luck, and look forward to reading your updates. Btw, any money you have saved up, dont spend it too fast. The next 12 months are going to be rough...

Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate the advice. My wife worked for them a few years ago, she had a great experience with them. She only left because she had a baby. I'm not going to lie I'm a little shocked at the disdain everyone has for the company. Is it due to shady practices by agents? Or the company itself? So far I have felt that I have the full support of Management in my career development. What should I be worried about. Thank you guys for your input

I am sure that not every agent that works for BLC is either inept or dishonest but EVERY BLC agent that I have come behind was either inept or dishonest.

They are a blight on the reputation of all health and life insurance agents - even the ones who only occasionally bend the rules.

It's not just the med sup premiums, it's the 19E IUL that's min funded and marketed as whole life. It's the 13X FE whole life that is priced in the ballpark of LH. It's the 06T fixed annuity with laughable rates. It's the 07C fixed indexed annuity that they train you to not talk about the participation rate. It's the 650 LTC that's twice the price as MoO or Genworth with a terrible rate increase history.

I would keep your eyes wide open, and as soon as you feel like you have the hang of this business, get out of there. Even if you like the captive environment and want to continue that, there are much better places to hang your hat. Good luck

Back