New agent

Our laws here in Louisiana are still under the Napoleatic Code instead of the English Code so I don't think that chimp would fare well here, but other than that it is a breeze if you study and pay attention in class(if your eyeballs don't fall out with boredom)

The insurance exam in LA has nothing to do with the Napoleonic Code but I agree that from talking to agents in other states that the exam seems to be somewhat more rigorous and many agents fail the first time they take it. It takes some several attempts to pass and no doubt some just give up.

The insurance exam in LA has nothing to do with the Napoleonic Code but I agree that from talking to agents in other states that the exam seems to be somewhat more rigorous and many agents fail the first time they take it. It takes some several attempts to pass and no doubt some just give up.

I passed the first time but I studied like was was trying to enter Harvard Law School;)and we are still under the Napoliantic code and the law section of our exam proves it.

Res ipsa loquitor (The thing speaks for itself). Wow, I haven't heard that Latin phrase since I dropped out of law school some years ago. In the insurance business I try to live by the Latin phrase: Non illegitimus carborundum (Don't let the bastards grind you down)!:cool:

also an update i met with physicians mutual and it seemd to be a really good fit, i dont think i can do any better to be honest, so im going to sign up. They are going to give me free leads and support, which is all i really wanted. And since the sell alot of LTC i think i can sneak in a will or two. They are going to give training on weekends so i can keep my job.

I'll be honest, I don't really care what market I'm in. I have seen some one the board preaching about "sell only what you truly believe in," but I will sell anything legit (assuming there isnt an equally available better fit). Med supp seems like it would be pretty easy to sell, so too bad they have had rate increases in that area. Thanks.
A really big deal for me right now is that they give me some sort of lead support and or marketing support, because i don;t have tons of time to spend prospecting. If things go well, though, and it turns out I can actually turn a buck here and there then I won't mind spending time drumming up business.

I'm afraid if you don't know specifically what market you want to pursue, you will be very frustrated, always jumping from one hot idea to another, and not servicing your clients very well. Then you will leave the insurance industry.

First, do some research, and find what sector is most comfortale to you:

Individual Health
Small Group Sales
Large Group Sales
Senior Market
Asset Based Products (Annuities, etc.)

Second, do some research, and find insurance companies in those markets:

Blue Cross Blue Shield
World
Assurant
Bankers Fidelity
Genworth
Mutual of Omaha
Allianz

Then, take what segment of the population you feel most comfortable working with, and combine that with the insurance companies, whose products you easily understand, and can explain in layman's terms.

Thirdly, talk with other agents, where you live. Get a feel for the personality of each type of agent, what they like, what they don't like, and what they feel the future holds for the insurance industry.

These agents can be used in the future, as alliances in selling. If you have a prospect that would fit what another agent is selling, then you can start by "splitting" cases (except with health), as a way to get your feet wet, and learn the business.

Then, once you determine what your leading product will be, GET OUT THRE AND NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. Brand yourself, so that when your associates and clients think of (insert specialty here), your name comes up.

I will not go into my feelings about leads vs. prospecting. John and others have had more of their fair share of my feelings about that. Suffice it to say, I go in another direction than most on this topic.

It is not a get rich quick industry, and requires many hours of reading Specimen Contracts, Brochures, and Outlines of coverage.

With that said, Good Luck.:radar:

I passed the first time but I studied like was was trying to enter Harvard Law School;)and we are still under the Napoliantic code and the law section of our exam proves it.

It's been over 5 years since I took the exam so I honestly can't recall much about the test. If there is something on there about liability, then it could have some influence but otherwise answering questions about health, life, annuities, Medicare, etc. really is pretty much the same everywhere.

My guess is that the test in NY state is probably among the hardest judging from the more stringent requirements placed upon insurers there.

Hey Bob I am interested in your prospecting ideas. If you don't want to put them here could you pm me with them?

Res, I think that you might be better suited to go to Great american Senior Benefits. They are more competitve than physicians in IN. I know we don't have many agents down your way so you would probably have more success. You can PM me if you want thier number or if you want to talk to me.

Back