New Americo Eagle smokers as non smokers a waste of time!!

So, Where is going to do better? In states with fewer, presumably stopping, smokers or in states with the highest rates, target rich states?

I was curious where CA fell in smokers rates. Not surprised by the results.
In U.S., Smoking Rate Lowest in Utah, Highest in Kentucky

I was surprised by

CNA Valley Forge had one as well. Rate increase at year three. I wrote a number of them. A few did stop and pee'd in the cup. Most did not and either called me to eat my liver and lapse or called to eat my liver and I rewrote them or called to eat my liver and were stuck with it because they could not qualify for anything better. I do not recall if they had to do a complete app with health questions to keep the non smoker rates.

My mistake, it is actually John Hancock that offers that product. Not sure why I said Lincoln...
It is dubbed the "quit smoking initiative".

Also, nobody realized it but Americo changed the underwriting with Eagle Premier. Example: look at the Hep C question before & after the smoker rate thing.

Hoping that's all they changed because it's priced higher so I think they should be more lienient. Anybody else see a difference other than OP?

Sorry for the rookie question but how long does a person have to stop using tobacco to be considered a non-tobacco user? Is it based on the carrier or there's some Universal rule?

So I have only sent a few dozen through this product over the last few years. Now with smokers getting non smoker rates I figured I would try more. All of them have been declined!! Seems like before this change all of them would have gone through. All of the insureds I tried to get coverage with Americo should have 100% been approved. Totally dumbfounded. I do my do diligence on underwriting. And they cannot give me any answer as to why. All they say is a letter will go out. So good job Americo wasting our time.

Were the people actually planning to quit smoking?

Did you check the smokng rate for the low price companies? The smokng rate is usually lower or as low as Americo Eagle’s non-smoking rate anyway. KSKJ, Lifeshield and Standard Life would all be in that range. And no time bomb down the road.

If they would have left the rates the same, kept cigar or "dippers" as non tobacco and still allowed you to write a tobacco price, it would have been better.

If it is pitched correctly, it does have some value. I just know that many agents will not pitch it correctly. "Your budget allows for $5,000 policy, but I will be able to get you $8,000 for 3 years and if you do not quit smoking, it will go back down to the original $5,000."

Some agents will probably use it to replace other policies and that could cause a problem.

Josh posted that Americo’s Ultra Protector product still counts pipes, cigars and dippers as non-smokers so that solves that problem unless there would be an underwriting issue that required Eagle premier. As long as that is correct info.

Equitable still counts those as no smokers too as well as e-cigs.

So, Where is going to do better? In states with fewer, presumably stopping, smokers or in states with the highest rates, target rich states?

I was curious where CA fell in smokers rates. Not surprised by the results.
In U.S., Smoking Rate Lowest in Utah, Highest in Kentucky

I was surprised by

CNA Valley Forge had one as well. Rate increase at year three. I wrote a number of them. A few did stop and pee'd in the cup. Most did not and either called me to eat my liver and lapse or called to eat my liver and I rewrote them or called to eat my liver and were stuck with it because they could not qualify for anything better. I do not recall if they had to do a complete app with health questions to keep the non smoker rates.

In Kentucky everyone is required by state law to smoke beginning in 5th grade. They only make exceptions if you already have stage 5 COPD due to breathing all the 2nd hand smoke from parents and siblings.

Helps the tobacco farmers. Plus helps everyone qualify for disability at a much younger age which is the main employer in KY.

Back