New Commercial P&C agent - could use some help

Aug 8, 2019

1. Insuranceguy76

Insuranceguy76 New Member

State:
    Ohio

If he is a newer producer do you think he is going to get contractors that are out building bridges and dams??? I am talking about smaller artisan contractors here.

Why not let him try learning truckers as it seems like it is a specialty that could use some good producers! Doubt trucking will die anytime soon, i dont see a national railroad system being revised nor can we create fully automated trucks for probably another 30 to 40 years!

2. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Well, we can agree to disagree. He is free to follow whatever advice he wants.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  3. BADTROUT

BADTROUT Guru

State:
    Colorado
    1. @Markthebroker speaks the truth... we disagree sometimes... but usually something trivial.
    2. I'll be honest, I dont love the tax savings angle... what's always worked for me is a niche focus (that changes when I'm very comfortable with that type risk, UW, and my carrier pricing and selection). Any salesperson that mentions taxes makes my eyes glaze over and all simply tell them to move on down the line.
    3. To the point... get there asap. A good business owner wastes time at $250 an hour. Remember theres no such thing as a free quote. In your sales calls you always want them talking more than you.
    4. The thought of you mentioning your back office support being free after 50% commission was mentioned means your support is exactly not free. The mentorship is, unless you succeed.
    5. I believe in paying a producer on a sliding scale, 75%new and 75% renewal for yr 1. Year 2, 70, year 3, 65 etc etc
    6. 100% perseverance and dedication is necessary, but you need to adapt to techniques that work for you. Don't beat your head against the wall unnecessarily... the first GREAT move on your part is doing exactly what you are doing, reaching out for peer mentorship. @raxx I wish you the best!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. Web320

Web320 Expert

State:
    Michigan
    Target an industry you have some knowledge on or are passionate about. Take a look at your current carriers, do any of them have a specialty market division or core competency? Maybe there is a regional carrier that is particularly focused on a niche you can dive into and get immediate support/lead assistance.

Web320, Aug 13, 2019
  5. Markthebroker

Markthebroker Guru

State:
    California
    Good advice. One thing to be wary of, the people that work at the carriers are completely clueless about what they are competitive with, I have been seeing this consistently with all carriers for my entire career.