New Independent Agent - Looking for Feedback

having brokerages you use, doesnt mean you have direct contracts with 150 carriers.

I have about 40 direct appts, but with brokerages i used, i have access to hundreds of companies, and yes, a majority of those are E&S.
Just saying, be careful of what you say...

As for the relationship, I understand that it could be bad or good... We have a mostly good relationship. He is somewhat of a bear though and I haven't worked with anyone like him before.
You are putting yourself at significant risk in this scenario, it's a prescription for disaster, personally AND professionally. Very seldom do these situations work out...

What happens if...

Your marriage goes south? Not going to effect your professional relationship with this "bear"? (I know. It'll never happen to you.)

Your professional relationship goes south? How does it effect your marriage?

Don't be a fool. Keep your personal and professional relationships separate.

Yes it is a big risk, I understand. I am going to really assess every few months during the first year to make sure this is the right thing to do.

It's better to opt out before I have too much skin in the game if this is going to end badly. There are way more online articles about why you "shouldn't" work for the family business than should.

Does anyone else have feedback? Run for the hills now ??? :)

I've been working with my mom for the past 6 years we've used it to our advantage with marketing even on our business cards. People love that we work together though we each have our own clients etc. but we try and use the best of each other for example she's not very tech savvy so I've been the one to handle all the tech stuff creating website, Facebook page etc. She's good at coming up with letters and things to write.

Yeah that we argue, who doesn't? But you have to be able to separate work from personal. Good luck.

I've been working with my mom for the past 6 years we've used it to our advantage with marketing even on our business cards. People love that we work together though we each have our own clients etc. but we try and use the best of each other for example she's not very tech savvy so I've been the one to handle all the tech stuff creating website, Facebook page etc. She's good at coming up with letters and things to write.

Yeah that we argue, who doesn't? But you have to be able to separate work from personal. Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback. I too am helping bring our agency into the 21st century... Facebook, Twitter, soon to be blog and quarterly newsletter. I'm going to check if there is a "working with family" thread so I don't get things too off track.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Back