New Licensed Producer, whats next?

PaperbagHat

So I joined this group of Insurance people and took their course and pass the exam for Life Health and Travel and got the license for producer, however afterward I realize they are a kind of pyramid scheme that kept asking for your relative and friend info to pitch their stuff. Not wanting to waste my license, I did kept my license renew it every 2 years for like 6 years now.

However, I am currently unemployed (I'm a engineer), and would like to know how I can start a career in insurance industry with my producer license.

What exactly is the next step I should take to utilize my license?

How did you guys started after getting your license?

So I joined this group of Insurance people and took their course and pass the exam for Life Health and Travel and got the license for producer, however afterward I realize they are a kind of pyramid scheme that kept asking for your relative and friend info to pitch their stuff. Not wanting to waste my license, I did kept my license renew it every 2 years for like 6 years now.

However, I am currently unemployed (I'm a engineer), and would like to know how I can start a career in insurance industry with my producer license.

You either go to work for a captive agency or you join a cluster. If you have not worked in the industry for 6 years, you have a lot of catching up to do so joining a captive may be your best bet until you know what you are talking about and earning an income while learning. You need someone to teach you the industry, and reaching out to family and frinds is the safest way to make a few dollars because they won't get upset if you make a small mistake in your presentation or quote.

I would suggest first picking a market.
Find groups that are successful in that market.
Find a couple of them that you seem to mesh with.
Interview them to gage their training and mentoring style. Not their 1099s
Once you have that group and trainer. Get off of all of these forums and FB groups for a bit.
Then shut up and listen to your trainer.

All IMohsoHO

I would suggest first picking a market.
Find groups that are successful in that market.
Find a couple of them that you seem to mesh with.
Interview them to gage their training and mentoring style. Not their 1099s
Once you have that group and trainer. Get off of all of these forums and FB groups for a bit.
Then shut up and listen to your trainer.

All IMohsoHO
How do I find such group? I don't even know where to start since I don't want to return to that pyramid scheme group that I left.

1st thing....what market do you want to work?
I actually wanted to go into investments not just selling insurances, but I read up that it requires licensing just like this producers license. However, I'm not sure how I can move towards that direction, I just don't see a clear path.

I'm a commercial p&c guy here. I have a very logical engineer type brain. Personally I have a much easier time getting my head around p&c, especially commercial p&c where I flourished. I didn't do well with life.

Find a group that will provide you with training, leads, appointments, etc in exchange for reduced commissions.

Start making some money and learning the biz.

That same group needs to allow you to upgrade to street level commissions when you can afford to buy your own leads [ $400 - $600 per week ] and don't require as much hand holding.

sounds like Primerica...total pyramid

Back