Newly Licensed Agent

I have an interview with Allstate today at 5pm, is there anything i should be aware of? suggestions? I asked about commision structure they said 30% but no renewals? not sure what that means i was confused exactly what i was hearing

30% is awful if you have to go out and prospect. If it's a wait for it, or if there is any base you could do better, but it's at least more understandable.

That said... I would look at your first job as a learning experience. Literally. It's like going to college, only you get paid. Remember you'll end up with a professional career out of the deal.

This is also ... thank God... a capitalistic country we live in and there is nothing saying you cant still be looking while you learn. Almost none of us end up keeping our first few jobs, and a job like that at Allsnake (little sarcasm) is designed NOT to be a career position for anyone worth their salt.

Hey congrats on the interview though.

Last edited:
So let me clarify my question, #1 anyone know any agency in dayton ohio you would recommend?

#2 is the bad hype i see about the ones calling me merited?

Yes. The bad hype will be merited. BUT, that doesn't mean that it would be bad for you.

I started at a captive in 2004. They had/have a really bad press. But at the time I didn't know any better and to be honest, I am glad I didn't know any better.

99% of agents on here are now Independent (including myself). But, I am positive that a good majority didn't start out as Independent. We all had to learn somewhere.

The great thing about this business is that there really isn't a wrong way to do it. The only thing that counts is if its good for you.

Bankers Life gets a bad rep, but they do have success.
Combined has a bad rep, but they do have success.

And on.......

Very good advice, Thank you all. Its a scary process going to depending fully on commision at 51 years of age, but nothing ventured , nothing gained

Very good advice, Thank you all. Its a scary process going to depending fully on commision at 51 years of age, but nothing ventured, nothing gained
@Charles newbie, you are going to have good days, and bad days but as they say, "If you are going through hell, you better keep going..." If you can do that, you'll be fine and in a few years, you will have an opportunity to provide someone else new a bit of advice. Look in the mirror and dont make the mistake so many of the dropouts make and say "I'm gonna try my best and I hope I do good enough"... it's a recipe for failure... you need to get in the habit of telling yourself, "I am the best at what I do for as long as I have been doing it, and I will not stop until I succeed, and though there are others with more knowledge and experience, none have the skill set I bring from my own personal experiences."

Realize you have a golden opportunity to find success completely dependent on your efforts, and once you get just a taste of that success, you'll want more. Best of luck to you today, and when they ask you why they should hire you, you tell them, because although I am new, I bring the maturity life has given me and no one will work harder to learn the business and close the deals.

Back