Newly licensed in Phoenix, how do I get started as a captive agent for a major carrier?

Jorge Pascal

So great to find this forum!

I am a newly licensed agent in Phoenix, Arizona, who wants to get started in Medicare Sales as soon as possible. (preferably before or during open enrollment).

Ideally, I would like to start as a captive agent for a carrier so I can receive training and understand the industry; however, so far, I have not received any response from the major carriers (United Healthcare, Humana, BCBS) from their recruitment website. My biggest challenge is getting started.

I already have my license, and I am currently getting my AHIP certification. I am bilingual in Spanish and have 20+ experience in bilateral trade, project management, and sales and marketing.
  • What other requirements do I need to get recruited by a primary carrier as a captive agent?
  • If I cannot become a captive agent, how can I get training to become an independent agent?
Thank you for your advice.

-Jorge

So great to find this forum!

I am a newly licensed agent in Phoenix, Arizona, who wants to get started in Medicare Sales as soon as possible. (preferably before or during open enrollment).

Ideally, I would like to start as a captive agent for a carrier so I can receive training and understand the industry; however, so far, I have not received any response from the major carriers (United Healthcare, Humana, BCBS) from their recruitment website. My biggest challenge is getting started.

I already have my license, and I am currently getting my AHIP certification. I am bilingual in Spanish and have 20+ experience in bilateral trade, project management, and sales and marketing.
  • What other requirements do I need to get recruited by a primary carrier as a captive agent?
  • If I cannot become a captive agent, how can I get training to become an independent agent?
Thank you for your advice.

-Jorge
Post this in the senior forum if you want responses for folks who grew up in that market and may be able to offer you better advice.

Welcome!

I would suggest one of the call centers in Tempe. You will at least learn the business over AEP and then hit the trail as an indy. The market is way too crowded in Phoenix to survive as a new captive( if that makes sense).

Hi AZSHIS,

What do you mean by "the market is way too crowded"? Too many captive agents? I usually check the pages of the major carriers, and it does not give me the impression that there are that many captive agents operating in Phoenix.

Your advice on the call centers seems like an excellent idea. I don't feel competent enough to go independent without any experience. Currently, I am getting my AHIP certification and E&O insurance.

Best regards,
-J

The captive agent path is not a great way to make a living in Phoenix as new carriers are coming to AZ with very rich benefits and are utilizing the independent channel. Cigna/UHC/ and Humana are the major players in the captive space and their plans aren't that special this year. Learn the biz and make a little money then plot your success as an indy.

Hi AZSHIS,

Thank you for your advice. You seem to know the AZ market very well. What are your thoughts on the New Mexico market? I have family in Santa Fe, and I am also considering relocation.

Best regards,
-J

Back