Ninety-Two Percent of All Agents Fail - Why?

The funny thing is that is is never their own fault that they didn't make it in this business.

The leads were bad.
No one would help them (meaning -do the work for them)
I could not stay at home and make a living (Meaning- They wanted me to get off my butt and work)
They wanted me to spend some of my own money.

I've heard some funny excuses. Never once, did they say it was their fault.

If you do nothing, you will get nothing.

My 1st time as a sales manager I was at lunch with the owner complaining about the reps; can't sell, lack of motivation, etc...

His line was "be glad its that way or we wouldn't need you."

90%+ failure rate in this biz? Thank God - if not there would be health insurance agents falling out of trees and you wouldn't write a deal.

I think this is a fairly easy business as far as knowing what to do, the execution is the difficult part. Most people have to go outside their comfort zone to make results happen and keep doing it even though the results aren't immediate. If I got paid instantly for the prospecting I did today, I would have been a heck of a lot more motivated to do it.

Great points here Mark!

Also, many people can't work for/by themselves, they need to show up to a job in order to work, they need to be told what to do and be held accountable by someone else.

The funny thing is that is is never their own fault that they didn't make it in this business.

The leads were bad.
No one would help them (meaning -do the work for them)
I could not stay at home and make a living (Meaning- They wanted me to get off my butt and work)
They wanted me to spend some of my own money.

I've heard some funny excuses. Never once, did they say it was their fault.

If you do nothing, you will get nothing.

Great points here Mark!

Also, many people can't work for/by themselves, they need to show up to a job in order to work, they need to be told what to do and be held accountable by someone else.

That's true. I'm completely opposite..I didn't really care for working with other agents. Didn't really like working with sales managers, but looking back, learned a great deal from them. I enjoy working for myself and by myself. Have my office at my house and can start work at 5 in the morning, like today.

I know a lot of people with inadequate product knowledge, personal issues, and poor business skills who are very successful insurance agents, but... they all have great sales skills, and are motivated by the thrill and victory of the sale. They count the money as an afterthought.

Back