No Show Fixes

It amazes me how many customers schedule something and you call and confirm, tell them when you are going to arrive, and yet they are not at home. Try being in the auto glass business, where every job is scheduled on the road with given road time etc, and then try to get your day back together after 1 person blows you off, then the next stop you told them you would not be to them for 1.5 hours later you arrive to find they went shopping cause your way early, then they arrive late...

Some people :)

What if say you drive all the way to see them and they are not there, something you may or may not want to do is knock on the neighbors door or homes near them. Maybe ask something like, "I have an appointment to speak with your neighbor, (what ever their name is) and I am concerned that they are not here. Do you know if something bad happened to them? And maybe before you go, give them your card and ask if they need any help or advice about their insurance needs.

Maybe this can give you some insight into why they are not there. And this can help them see that you actually care about them and can lead to more leads. I look at it this way, even if they are not home and you drive all the way to see them and they are not there, why not try to turn that into a positive situation. Who knows where that quick 3-4 minute conversation with their neighbor can lead.

No shows are just part of the business of in home appts. We call ahead, but they want to see me and they know why I am coming. If you are cold calling appts there will always be one leg and no shows. If you pre-call these type of appts you will get cancellations. It is part of the business.

I have run 200 + appts in the last 2 months and had one no show; a note on the door. I left a card on the door and moved on to my next appt, early. Suck it up, they can't all be good. If 50% let you in the door and spend quality time with you, you are doing well if these are cold appointments.

These are people I have collected info and names from throughout the year who are waiting for AEP as well as existing clients from other lines of business I have done with them or with MA or Med Sup products that need reviewed. As I said, I do not cold call. Existing clients and referrals only. I have been doing it a few years, so this is the natural progression of an agency, not a magic formula.

New to the insurance business. Is there any secrets to actually having the client that schedules the appointment with you to ACTUALLY BEING THERE? I have not had any reason to believe the client wouldn't be there from the phone call, but for some reason, I'll travel 50 miles, get there 5 minutes early, and NOTHING. No lights on, no answering of the phone, vehicles gone...

Just some tips on how to lock that customer in to letting in me in the door...

Thanks in advance.

I believe it depends a lot on what you consider an "appointment". Some agents consider, "I'm going to be in your area on Thursday, is it okay if I stop by to drop off valuable information."

It is also going to depend on how far in advance you schedule an appointment. I sell Med Supps, I try to get the appointment as quickly as possible after the initial phone call, the same day if possible. If not, then the next day. With each day beyond that the chances of them either remembering the appointment or being home begin diminishing rapidly.

The concept of calling and scheduling all appointments on Monday for the rest of the week sounds very efficient. I can tell you from experience it does not work in the senior market.

I consider an appointment a meeting for a specific day and a specific time, not just "morning" or "afternoon". I always make sure I am there a few minutes early or at the very latest, on time.

So right you are Frank. Most of my appts are set only a day or two in advance. With existing clients who are expecting you for an annual review, etc, then those are generally set further in advance and then the times around them are filled in with appts in the same or neighboring zips nearer the day of those appts.

Always be on time or early if possible. Take off your shoes, unless there is dog **** on the floor, and do the right thing, even if it means not making a sale.

...unless there is dog **** on the floor,... .

I think we've both been in the same house. No reason to go back, they are just "tire kickers".

I usually kick the dried ones out of the way and gingerly jump over the fresh ones. Sometimes even that is a challenge, to land in the "safe zone".

In a New England agency I worked at many years ago, there was an agent who would mail a bill to "no shows" for the cost entailed in driving out to their home. I don't know if he got many responses, but with the cost of gasoline today it might be a good idea.

In a New England agency I worked at many years ago, there was an agent who would mail a bill to "no shows" for the cost entailed in driving out to their home. I don't know if he got many responses, but with the cost of gasoline today it might be a good idea.

All very good advices and I use all of em - Qualify hard, send the appointment card, call the day before and call right before I get in the car. I've had one no show in my 3 years and sent the fucker the bill (course never heard from him again).

Back