Obama - health insurance guru

Nate,

take a pause from your wee wee match and consider this...

"If everyone in this country simply had the opportunity to go to the Doctor yearly for a preventative care check-up and have it covered, health care costs would come down."

Most people if not all do through a variety of means can go get checked if they decide to go... my son volunteers his time as a medical student to work at one in MO. There are means for people who don't have the financial means to recieve health care.

There are many reasons people don't go from not knowing to not caring enough about themselves to get services.

The other bug, in a government run system, define "basic health care"?

I'm in Washington and we had the Clinton plan go into effect and it really failed. Simply because by the time they got through with deciding what "basic health care" should be, it was too expensive to buy.

Everybody wanted a porshe plan at a VW price. Can't do it.

The government's role in the preventative process has always been there, they've just failed to do their part.

Simple things like readjusting our food stamps program to something along the lines WIC system (women Infant children) that restricts purchases to "healthy" items.

Right now one of America's biggest problems is obesity. Name another country with that problem? For the poor, high fat, high carb foods are cheaper than healthy food. Shouldn't the government be working to get healthier food choices into people's hands?

How about ballfields? Because government controls most land developement why does it take 15-20 years for a public park to be built? People talk about the canadian health care system but have you EVER bothered to look at how the canadian government encourages healthy activity? They build parks, ballfields and allow tax write offs for sports fees. That's true preventative.

What we're talking about in America is after the fact healthcare... the control of premium dollars by making them tax dollars...

The government isn't truly talking preventative or they simply would have used their powers to make a healthier America like they did when we feared the Russians. You're probably too young for the "presidents counsel on phsyical fitness" back in the 60's pe and recess were important because "we" wanted healthy americans to turn back the commmies...... now we cut recess and pe because it doesn't fit NCLB.

Sorry I'm not a goper, but I'm not stupid either. The government(both parties) has failed at doing what they should be doing for a healthier America, now we want to give them more to do less with?

Sorry, it's like giving a drug addict your checkbook.

Last edited:
I think if you'll consult your health insurance literature, preventive is what you'll find.
Can there be anything funnier than an *** that doesn't know what they're talking about?

A real "Rhode's Scholar" would certainly understand that health insurance literature is a higher authority than the dictionary.

What year did you graduate from Oxford?

Does anyone really think the President actually has control over anything at this point?

If there's millions to be made, even we the people, don't matter, just like 9/11, they're just pawns (our so called leaders) and we're dispensable.

Keep educating consumers and selling insurance. The FDA, pharmaceuticals, greased congressman, researchers, etc. won't ever let it happen, or it would have happened already.

Do you think this is the first time it's been needed?

Has anyone been diligently working on it all these years?

It comes up at election time and the lies to sweep it away start shortly after. Maybe they'll bomb Disney World this time as an excuse for their actions, who knows?

And if it happens, is there nothing else that you can do to make money? Make your own economy and it won't matter.

I don't think the question was about how bad Bush did but was about the pandering by Obama's speech.

It no different than mcshame's bull crap .. or should i say, we see what mcshame/mcbush will/has done... this country CAN NOT handle another 4 years of the bush bible.... mcshame has voted with king bush 90% of the time

Yep, that $2,200 annual checkup on that 23 year old will find a lot of problems.

Now if you are saying that people over X amount of age may benefit....you could probably prove your point.

I have my own preventative med.....I jog daily, play tennis, lift weights, eat well, keep my weight within check. I was in high school in the 1960's. When I see the people that I went to high school with, the ones that haven't exercised since 1969, all look terrible. Aside from looking the part I would bet they are in bad health.

We have abrogated our responsibilities enough to the government and it is time we start taking responsibility for our own wellbeing.

Actually, it's a proven fact that people who have preventative care coverage generally cost less overall than people who don't have preventative care coverage. People with preventative can actually go to the Doctor when they feel that something is wrong. This helps to catch illnesses far sooner than someone who doesn't go till they faint, or are in major pain, etc.

If everyone in this country simply had the opportunity to go to the Doctor yearly for a preventative care check-up and have it covered, health care costs would come down.

I'm sure you will all disagree with me.... but unless your wife is a Doctor, you are not allowed to respond.

That's exactly it, people don't want to think, work or earn anything, they expect it handed to them. Sit by the fireplace and ask for heat without putting the wood in, it's sad and comical.

Yep, that $2,200 annual checkup on that 23 year old will find a lot of problems.

Now if you are saying that people over X amount of age may benefit....you could probably prove your point.

I have my own preventative med.....I jog daily, play tennis, lift weights, eat well, keep my weight within check. I was in high school in the 1960's. When I see the people that I went to high school with, the ones that haven't exercised since 1969, all look terrible. Aside from looking the part I would bet they are in bad health.

We have abrogated our responsibilities enough to the government and it is time we start taking responsibility for our own wellbeing.

The govt does no have to worry about reducing costs. That is not what they are all about.

USATODAY.com

it's a proven fact that people who have preventative care coverage generally cost less overall than people who don't have preventative care coverage.

That statement is subject to debate.

some evidence does suggest that there are opportunities to save money and improve health through prevention. Preventable causes of death, such as tobacco smoking, poor diet and physical inactivity, and misuse of alcohol have been estimated to be responsible for 900,000 deaths annually —

but . . .

Studies have concluded that preventing illness can in some cases save money but in other cases can add to health care costs.3 For example, screening costs will exceed the savings from avoided treatment in cases in which only a very small fraction of the population would have become ill in the absence of preventive measures.

NEJM -- Does Preventive Care Save Money? Health Economics and the Presidential Candidates

king bush brought all this on us...

The president is an easy target, but Congress controls the purse strings. In case you hadn't noticed, the approval rate for Congress is at or near single digits.

If you want to blame anyone, start with your own representatives.

And to tie it all in . . .

InsureBlog: Medical Bankruptcy (Revisited)

The govt does no have to worry about reducing costs. That is not what they are all about.

USATODAY.com

That statement is subject to debate.

some evidence does suggest that there are opportunities to save money and improve health through prevention. Preventable causes of death, such as tobacco smoking, poor diet and physical inactivity, and misuse of alcohol have been estimated to be responsible for 900,000 deaths annually —

but . . .

Studies have concluded that preventing illness can in some cases save money but in other cases can add to health care costs.3 For example, screening costs will exceed the savings from avoided treatment in cases in which only a very small fraction of the population would have become ill in the absence of preventive measures.

NEJM -- Does Preventive Care Save Money? Health Economics and the Presidential Candidates

The president is an easy target, but Congress controls the purse strings. In case you hadn't noticed, the approval rate for Congress is at or near single digits.

If you want to blame anyone, start with your own representatives.

And to tie it all in . . .

InsureBlog: Medical Bankruptcy (Revisited)

Darn Bob, how old are you to possess so much knowledge, I'm going to call you Yoda from now on:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back