Occasional Tobacco Use

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
What kind of Medigap underwriting can I expect from occasional tobacco use. Prospect admits to an occasional pipe while watching a football game, maybe 3x in the fall.

Looking at Equitable but curious how other carriers might view. This will be an underwritten app. Client in good health. Cholesterol and BP controlled with med's.

What kind of Medigap underwriting can I expect from occasional tobacco use. Prospect admits to an occasional pipe while watching a football game, maybe 3x in the fall.

Looking at Equitable but curious how other carriers might view. This will be an underwritten app. Client in good health. Cholesterol and BP controlled with med's.

Just curious as to why you'd use Equitable? It clearly asks about a pipe on their app. If it was FE, they'd be a non smoker with Equitable. There are several FE companies that will overlook occasional non cigarette tobacco use, but I can't think of any for Med Supps. You said you have New Era. They have great smoker rates.

If he is admitting to smoking 3 times per year he is an ***. Give him a smoker rate...

Other than the pipe, Equitable was a good fit for his criteria.

I told him we answer yes to the tob use and let him explain it to the underwriter during the interview. He was OK with that.

FWIW, he was the one who mentioned the pipe without any prompting. I always operate on the assumption that if they tell me it must be disclosed. If they tell me something then want to hide it I refuse to take the app.

If you were buying it, and you knew that you only took a few puffs/drags from a pipe/cig per year(honestly), would you pay smoker rates? I think we all know which box most agents would check.

That's the best thing to do.

I'm just saying that if I tried a cigarette in college, 10 years ago, should I pay tobacco rates....with some insurance carriers, yes I would have to

Most only ask 1 or 2 years. In this case we're talking Med Supps and there are a few(Manhattan and New Era) that go back 5 years, so you'd be safe. What kind of cigarette did you say you smoked in college? lol

Most only ask 1 or 2 years. In this case we're talking Med Supps and there are a few(Manhattan and New Era) that go back 5 years, so you'd be safe. What kind of cigarette did you say you smoked in college? lol

Yeah you're right. I'm not thinking straight, it must be those darn cigarettes, funny thing is, time is going really slow, these cigarettes are weird

Back