OEP is coming back?

bpenn9

Guru
100+ Post Club
Utah
Just got an email stating it's headed our way for 2019. Thoughts? I don't remember being all that busy at least not like AEP.

Effective Jan. 1, 2019, the OEP election period will be available for Medicare beneficiaries. It will run from January 1-March 31. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is working through guidance on how the election period will run, including marketing rules. We will provide more details when the final guidance is released this summer.

It was a few years ago until it was changed to AEP. If memory serves me right instead of what we know today as disenrollment period during OEP you could change to another MAPD.

Definitely more than a few. I started in Feb of ‘09 and we never had it. It must of just ended before then.
But I did see a thread here last year talking about it. Seems like a pain in the ass to me.

It was a pain. If I remember correctly I think it went January 1st to March 31st. You could make one plan change on an MAPD. Once that choice was made that was it. There was one company here that sandbagged their mailers and sent out their captive agents and flipped a ton of people. AEP work all for nothing.

It was a pain. If I remember correctly I think it went January 1st to March 31st. You could make one plan change on an MAPD. Once that choice was made that was it. There was one company here that sandbagged their mailers and sent out their captive agents and flipped a ton of people. AEP work all for nothing.

So.....let me see if I get this:

1. You buy MAPD company X between 10/15 and 12/7.
2. During January, you realize you hate company X, so you are allowed to switch to company Y

Is that correct? What about Part D? Can you go from Med Supp to MAPD then switch back during PEP? Or MAPD to Med Supp

This sounds like a PITA

Definitely more than a few. I started in Feb of ‘09 and we never had it. It must of just ended before then.
But I did see a thread here last year talking about it. Seems like a pain in the ass to me.

Man time flies, I do remember we had it in 2006 but don't remember how long after that.

I believe there was more than one company that did that.

So.....let me see if I get this:

1. You buy MAPD company X between 10/15 and 12/7.
2. During January, you realize you hate company X, so you are allowed to switch to company Y

Is that correct? What about Part D? Can you go from Med Supp to MAPD then switch back during PEP? Or MAPD to Med Supp

This sounds like a PITA

If memory serves me right you could only change MAPD and Part D, maybe you could use that as the disenrollment period.

This brings in the scammers as already mentioned. Yes, some agents will call your client (although not suppose to) after the 1st of the year and attempt to switch them. Anyway we'll have to see how it's setup this time around.

Back