Orphan Clients

I wanted to know how to go about finding orpan clients as an indep. agent. I have seen a few posts about agents getting leads like this. Are they easy to come by, hard to come by? whats the process to get these from the carriers? As a captive agent, I got these alot. Anything anyone has to contribute is welcome.

I do not think you will find them. Everyone ask for them, few get them. Learn to generate your own orphan list. Almost every life client out there is an orphan. Ask them the last time they have heard from their agent. 9 times out of 10 time they will say either when they bought the policy or when they tried to sell them a new policy. Orphan.

The easy trail leads to a barren wasteland. The harder trail leads to the promise land.
Damn, I got to quit drinkin:nah:

I would agree with Wino here in that as an indepedent agent orphans are harder to come by.

The harder you work the luckier you'll get though. Based upon my lives activity with a mutual company I broker with, the regional I place my business through came to me a year ago when a long-term agent suddenly died....basically gave me his book to call upon.

Even though your indy, you will find that if you place a good deal of business through one or two carriers then you will be closer to the top of the list to fall into more opportunities.

I would agree with Wino here in that as an indepedent agent orphans are harder to come by.

The harder you work the luckier you'll get though. Based upon my lives activity with a mutual company I broker with, the regional I place my business through came to me a year ago when a long-term agent suddenly died....basically gave me his book to call upon.

Even though your indy, you will find that if you place a good deal of business through one or two carriers then you will be closer to the top of the list to fall into more opportunities.
thanks for the input. i was afraid theyd be hard to get.

Do you think the ROI on time is better with working orphans or cold calling businesses, etc. I haven't worked orphans in years (when I first started), but it seemed like they were hit or miss and you would get a lot of servicing work.

What has been your experience?

Last edited:
Do you think the ROI on time is better with working orphans or cold calling businesses, etc. I haven't worked orphans in years (when I first started), but it seemed like they were hit or miss and you would get a lot of servicing work.

What has been your experience?
When I was a captive agent the ROI was pretty good, because we would work one township at a time and it was just a matter of going a few miles, and writing or reinstating policies on orphan cases, or lapses. an easy sale most of the time. and sometimes I was able to write additional coverage. I have had one orphan case since being indep. and they were inquiring about buying a UL. But backed out of it. In that case the carrier called me because I was the only agent close to them. Now my major market is senior citizens, but I try to keep a hand in the disability income game.

When I was a captive agent the ROI was pretty good, because we would work one township at a time and it was just a matter of going a few miles, and writing or reinstating policies on orphan cases, or lapses. an easy sale most of the time. and sometimes I was able to write additional coverage. I have had one orphan case since being indep. and they were inquiring about buying a UL. But backed out of it. In that case the carrier called me because I was the only agent close to them. Now my major market is senior citizens, but I try to keep a hand in the disability income game.

I just remember doing a lot of evening calling and evening work and the result was a lot of servicing. It did make money, but there are better ways (IMO) than that. Maybe I need to give it another try if you guys have been having different results than that. Those were my results waaaay back in the day.

Back