Overcoming Objections

He wanted mortgage protection and couldn't get the amount he wanted. You showed him what you felt was an alternative, although it really wasn't -- at least not in his mind.

No offense, I would have taken it to another carrier and gotten him what he was looking for -- cheap, in this case, the cheapest term for mortgage protection purposes. Had this not been a mortgage lead -- me personally, given his health issues, I would have looked to expand the conversation, talk about the future, insurability, conversion, perhaps a bit more of a "planning" approach. Actually, personally, I would have attempted that and offered it as you never know where one lead will take you.

One of my biggest cases, well into seven digits, started from a "lead" from a T&E attorney, where his client needed about $50mm of term for business purposes (to secure loans). Less than one year later I was able to place more than that amount in various types of permanent coverage. You just don't know, LOL.

In a case like that, I would have politely/solemnly told him that getting a term policy, at this very recent diagnosis of diabetes, was difficult, possibly declinable, and whatever I quote at this point is upwardly mobile depending on the exam, etc.

Next, I would thank him for his time, offered to stay in touch, and casually mention, as I am leaving, an easy issue product, highlighting the "good points" of the item, but present it in such a way that you're being helpful..if he shows a little interest, at this point, you really need to throw one last thing out there about the product (as you're leaving), and again express your sorrow about the current circumstances....he calls you within a week to clinch the deal.

Back