Parking Incident Question

My wife had something similar happen in college. The girl wanted $750 to cover the damage. We asked for insurance information. Her parents got involved and said they would just take care of it and we never heard from them again. I guess the other girl was running low in beer money.

for kicks i would get a tape measure out. measure the license plate bolts, on your wifes car.... then measure the damage on the other car. if they measure up...offer to pay half.

for kicks i would get a tape measure out. measure the license plate bolts, on your wifes car.... then measure the damage on the other car. if they measure up...offer to pay half.

Wouldn't that measurement be standard since license plate holes are standard?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Or did you mean distance from the ground?

Last edited:
Even if they do line up, don't pay anything. The claimant is just as likely to have backed into the insured as vice versa.

Also, a shop estimate will ALWAYS be for full OEM bumper cover replacement with full refinish. You have a person walking into a shop telling them they just want an estimate so someone else can pay for it out of pocket. Of course it's going to be huge. If a shop believes the insurance people aren't going to be involved, they know they are dealing with people that aren't familiar with the situation and won't have the protection of the appraiser/adjuster.

If it's just a slight distortion from license plate bolts and a few scratches, it will be a minor repair and partial basecoat refinish to the cover if insurance is paying for it. The difference in cost would be huge.

TODAY, I worked a claim where 2 cars backed into each other. I had the claimant and was authorized to pay at 50% of my estimate. Claimant had estimate for almost $700. I wrote $204.xx. They can take my sheet to any shop they want and I won't get a supplement.

Even if they do line up, don't pay anything. The claimant is just as likely to have backed into the insured as vice versa.

Also, a shop estimate will ALWAYS be for full OEM bumper cover replacement with full refinish. You have a person walking into a shop telling them they just want an estimate so someone else can pay for it out of pocket. Of course it's going to be huge. If a shop believes the insurance people aren't going to be involved, they know they are dealing with people that aren't familiar with the situation and won't have the protection of the appraiser/adjuster.

If it's just a slight distortion from license plate bolts and a few scratches, it will be a minor repair and partial basecoat refinish to the cover if insurance is paying for it. The difference in cost would be huge.

TODAY, I worked a claim where 2 cars backed into each other. I had the claimant and was authorized to pay at 50% of my estimate. Claimant had estimate for almost $700. I wrote $204.xx. They can take my sheet to any shop they want and I won't get a supplement.

oh great, a newbie brings back to life a troll thread.....thx for reading the entire thread.:swoon:

red blooded, take it easy. go get some lunch. you are to stressed out.... this forum is to help the newbie's. he who has not asked a dumb question, please bare with us, because most of us do....

oh great, a newbie brings back to life a troll thread.....thx for reading the entire thread.:swoon:
My post was met to be general enough the principles could be applied to future situations anyone reading this thread may experience. And although a week late, at least I added information as opposed to a simple "^^^^ what he said".

My wife gets out of work yesterday and there is a not on her windshield saying her front bumper was in contact with this individual's back bumper and left minor damage (license plate bolt indentations and scratches). The individual also left a picture of the bumpers touching. She asked that my wife call to obtain insurance information.

Of course my wife is very upset and doesn't believe she would have pulled into the spot to come in contact with the other car.

I'm guessing that repairs are minor enough not to meet the deductible so just deal with it without involving insurance. Then there is the tin-foil conspiracy theorist in me that feels like this is some scam this woman is running.

Any advice on what we should do?

The note. This is actually very common. It’s really one persons word against the other. At any time there is a doubt, a police report should be made. It could be fraud and/or the other persons passing blame. A claim doesn’t necessarily need to be either. Normally under a circumstance as this, an insurance company will decide 50/50 and no one wins either way. Unfortunately for the “innocent” party they are out the damages L

Back