Parking Incident Question

ElkridgeTerp

My wife gets out of work yesterday and there is a not on her windshield saying her front bumper was in contact with this individual's back bumper and left minor damage (license plate bolt indentations and scratches). The individual also left a picture of the bumpers touching. She asked that my wife call to obtain insurance information.

Of course my wife is very upset and doesn't believe she would have pulled into the spot to come in contact with the other car.

I'm guessing that repairs are minor enough not to meet the deductible so just deal with it without involving insurance. Then there is the tin-foil conspiracy theorist in me that feels like this is some scam this woman is running.

Any advice on what we should do?

I wouldn't send anything. It's just as likely that the woman in question backed in to her spot and contacted your wife's bumper. Since there's no way to prove otherwise, I wouldn't even respond to the request.

Yes, call them and then file a claim under their insurance company to get your car repaired.

They are hoping you will give them a few hundred bucks rather than have them file a claim. It's stupid really, but it works.

Legally, you have to exchange information. Since they have your license plate number, if they pursue it, you will be in the wrong, trying to dig out. Just call them, get their insurance information first, provide them yours, then call a claim into their company. Don't bother calling your own at this point.

Pursue it as if the picture shows they ran into you. The picture doesn't show who hit who, just that there was contact.

Now, remember, nobody walks around their car when they get in. How and why did this get noticed?

Dan

Thanks for the responses. I passed along the advice to my wife. Since there is no actual damage to her vehicle, would we still call her insurance to report? I would think not? Just wait to see if she contacts our insurance and wait for our insurance to contact us?

Thanks again everyone!!!

Well, if it was me, I would file a claim with their insurance, just because. But that is me.... There isn't any real need to do this if you don't have any damage.

Dan

How in the hell did they leave a picture? What was the person walking around with a Polaroid?

Call get their insurance and file the claim on their policy and just let the adjusted know that your wife is 100% sure she didn't hit the car. By the way does your wife remember if that was even the car she parked behind?

Sounds like a scam. I would call the person and try to get their information and advise them that you did not hit their car, they must have hit yours while it was parked, and that you'll be making a claim on their insurance for any damages. I'm guessing they will not want to give you their insurance info, if they even have insurance at all. As has been stated, most likely they just want you to assume responsibility and give them some cash since most people don't want to get dinged on their insurance. I bet they did that to 10 other people that day, and some of them will pay up. Nice racket.

If they do pursue it, report the situation to their insurance company and yours, and let the insurance companies sort it out. They have no proof your wife hit their car, so your company should side with you. If the other party has insurance, their policy can take care of their car under collision.

I would call them to get their insurance information as is required. Don't speak to them at all regarding any details of anything, just simply exchange information. Then your next calls is to file a claim against their carrier, like djs posted.

Back