Pedestrian Claim

Yes - it’s what they (Progressive) told me the medical bills were

That's...not great. 2-3X times medicals bills is not an unusual reward if it were to go to trial, and worse is possible. If you end up with a jury that's sympathetic to people in the circumstances you're describing for the guy, and his attorney thinks you have $/assets, it could get ugly.

It's normal for Progressive to try to low-ball with an offer of just medical costs. Chances are the guy won't want to wait for a trial to play out (likely years), but your concern is warranted.

Buy an umbrella policy. Right this instant. For probably $20/month you can never worry about things like this again.

Buy an umbrella policy. Right this instant. For probably $20/month you can never worry about things like this again.

She probably needs higher underlying limits on the auto to even get an Umbrella. Plus if this thing settles at $60K - $100K, it's going to cost her more than $20/month, especially depending on the age of the daughter.

She does need higher limits though

My daughter was 16 when it happened. As far as him waiting, I don’t think his thought process would consider those points. His current trial now is his 10th or 11th arrest. He has a pretty long record. He might be pushed by the accident lawyer to move as quickly as possible.

Unless he laid down to get his leg run over, really interested to hear how a leg is broken but no dents to bumper or fender. I have leaned up against a fender when talking & it dented & I have barely had a bumper touch another car, garage door & they always dent or get scratched up.

And there really isn’t a single mark on my car. No dents, no scratches. My daughter said he was fully facing her, didn’t move. She was at Stop light, got the green arrow to turn left and he was on the street she was turning onto.

True, though she is extremely paranoid about anyone being within 20 feet of the car when she's driving now. This really affected her. But the umbrella policy is not a bad idea regardless.

I would strongly recommend taking a closer look at your uninsured/underinsured motorist and medpay/PIP coverage if you don't already have it set up. It's surprising how many people tend to skimp on their insurance thinking they're being extra cautious or "aware" after incidents like the one you mentioned.

But here's the thing: you can't control the actions of other drivers, both in terms of how they drive and whether they actually have insurance. Let me share a personal story. Picture this: I'm sitting at a stoplight on the highway, minding my own business at the ripe age of 26. It's a beautiful day, around 3 PM. Out of nowhere, bam! I get rear-ended at a solid 45 mph by a fresh-faced 20-year-old in a shiny new car. Wanna guess what happened next? That genius had absolutely no insurance.

I ended up with some pretty gnarly injuries that required countless trips to the doctor and almost a year of physical therapy. And you know who footed the bill? My insurance, because Mr. "No Insurance" over there couldn't be bothered to do the responsible thing. Thankfully, I had my coverage set up properly because the medical bills and vehicle damage were no joke.

Additionally, I didn't have to worry about trying to sue a 20 year old who just destroyed his only asset in the wreck.

Back