Phone Sales And Medicare Supplements

AEP is the WORST time to change Medigap or from MA to Medigap. If pressed, I will take apps for January 1 up to Mid-October. After that they need to find someone else.

I do a lot of Medsupp During AEP, it's not bad but different, a little more work with different issues But still, there are solutions

Its easy to change effective dates too, if one gets close to the 15th we move the effective to 02/01 and use OEP instead No issue

However there are many who wont change their supp except during AEP, Once process has begun its easy to push the 02/01 but some of these wont begin the process in jan if it was not begun before

I do a lot of Medsupp During AEP, it's not bad but different, a little more work with different issues But still, there are solutions

Its easy to change effective dates too, if one gets close to the 15th we move the effective to 02/01 and use OEP instead No issue

Easy is a relative term.

Biggest challenge for me was taking folks off MA to Original Medicare and Medigap. Submitting underwritten applications end of October for a 1/1 effective date and needing a decision before 12/7 was too stressful . . . for me and my client.

I just don't need that kind of drama in my life. The feces hit the fan a couple of years ago when Oct apps were not approved until FEBRUARY. Getting them cancelled (because email to HO underwriting not acknowledged) and refunded premiums was a nightmare. Created a lot of angst.

So I just don't do them.

Same rule (my rule) applies for changing Medigap. I submit Medigap apps from January thru September only.

YMMV

Easy is a relative term.

Biggest challenge for me was taking folks off MA to Original Medicare and Medigap. Submitting underwritten applications end of October for a 1/1 effective date and needing a decision before 12/7 was too stressful . . . for me and my client.

I just don't need that kind of drama in my life. The feces hit the fan a couple of years ago when Oct apps were not approved until FEBRUARY. Getting them cancelled (because email to HO underwriting not acknowledged) and refunded premiums was a nightmare. Created a lot of angst.

So I just don't do them.

Same rule (my rule) applies for changing Medigap. I submit Medigap apps from January thru September only.

YMMV

Anything I don't get approval for by the 4th get effective dates moved to 02/01 problem solved No Drama

Don't usually have issues with refunded premiums either every year there is at least one couple where one is approved and another is not and they won't separate and I have to cancel the approved policy, Or the one that decides its just too much and wants to satay MA Never had an issue with refunds

Never had an issue with refunds

SOME carriers, and one in particular, don't want to refund premium even when it is their fault. Bad enough I have to explain to client/prospect that they TOOK their money almost 2 months AFTER the requested effective date. AND the applicant had already PAID existing plan premium. AND the tardy carrier REFUSED to change the effective date even though all this mess was THEIR fault.

DRAMA !!!!

SOME carriers, and one in particular, don't want to refund premium even when it is their fault. Bad enough I have to explain to client/prospect that they TOOK their money almost 2 months AFTER the requested effective date. AND the applicant had already PAID existing plan premium. AND the tardy carrier REFUSED to change the effective date even though all this mess was THEIR fault.

DRAMA !!!!

That Blows

I would love to know which carrier so I know to watch for short timelines with them or maybe avoid altogether depending

Hey Todd, so do you find it easy to close on the first call with med supps? I might not understand correctly but even if they want to switch to a plan it can only happen during AEP right? So even if you make the sell now you cant really get paid until some time down the line. Is that right?

Med Supps can be sold (and/or replaced) all year long, but yes, they are a one call close. MAPD plans are what you're concentrating on during AEP, which is the time that most people do switch if they are going to switch. Other than that, their are Special Enrollment Periods that a client may fall into.

Back