Police Report Filed. Do I Tell Insurance? Driving Me Crazy

Increase was only like 7% in my area, not much. His went up significantly more than that, I don't know exactly how much though. Like Dan said, you can remove it, however, it can be difficult. Keep the report though.

You are worried about things you don't need to. Report it, be done with it.

If the clue report is correct, this will be a non-issue. The best way to make sure it is correct is to report the accident so that there is the proper information input into the system. Then when the clue report is pulled, it will show the driver was someone else, not you.

You will be asked who this guy is, you say he doesn't live in the household, no big deal.

If you don't report it and it shows up in CLUE, it won't have a driver listed. That's when you have to verify the circumstances around the accident and it can become messy.

I don't know what state you are in, but in California I've dealt this this so many times it would make your head spin. In fact, I've dealt with this personally with my car. Didn't impact my rates at all. It did hers.

Dan

But even WITH the police report, doesn't it involve me and isn't it really my fault for letting someone (esp someone without insurance) drive my car? ..This is wearing me out... I just might inform my insurance just to keep my sanity..

correct me if im wrong but you sound like a person that just wants an answer not necessarily the reasons y. listen to dan. report it to your insurance and the dmv. keep the police report.

now if you want to be nice to your relative have your insurance pay out on the liability.

if you want to pay out of pocket, report the accident to them anyway and just tell them that you were not driving the car and want to document it properly.

Just to nitpick a bit, and admittedly, this will only matter to me, but the payout would be under property damage, not liability, assuming nobody was hurt.

I only mention this because the limits are usually very different. This sounds like a low enough claim, if any claim, that it wouldn't matter.

yes, its a very minor detail.

Dan

Just to nitpick a bit, and admittedly, this will only matter to me, but the payout would be under property damage, not liability, assuming nobody was hurt.

I only mention this because the limits are usually very different. This sounds like a low enough claim, if any claim, that it wouldn't matter.

yes, its a very minor detail.

Dan

ummmmmm liability is split limits of bodily injury and property damage...... its still called liability because the person is liable, or responsible, for the damages either bodily injury, prop damage, or both.

and yes if the accident damage is under $750 it can be, but not always, considered under threshold and could be considered non-chargeable

Like I said, its a nitpick of mine. People get confused by using terms loosely. With insurance people, no big deal, we know the rules. With non-agents, I try to be more precise.

Its like the people on here who nitpick over using the wrong word, though the meaning (in context) is understood. You finally found my little thing. And yes, I get sloppy on this sometimes as well.

Technically, if you read the policy, liability and property damage are separate coverages. In a general sense, I agree with you, you are liable for property damage and therefore, it is a form of liability coverage.

My personal auto policy is a CSL policy, so I've really confused the matter :)

Dan

correct me if im wrong but you sound like a person that just wants an answer not necessarily the reasons y.

No, I do definitely appreciate hearing the reasons WHY as opposed to just hearing an answer. Most likely, I will follow Dan's advice..

But, I've read countless horror stories about Progressive-- And I've read the horror with Progressive starts once you get into an accident.. That's why I really really don't want to call them...

Last edited:
If there are no injuries and no damage to the other car and you don't have collision on your car why do you need to contact insurance?

So what if there is a police report? Am I missing something?

If there are no injuries and no damage to the other car and you don't have collision on your car why do you need to contact insurance?

So what if there is a police report? Am I missing something?

for his peace of mind. in reality he doesnt have to do anything its up to the other person to file the claim since they suffered the loss. but he wants to make sure he doesnt get screwed later on down the line. progressive is a pain to deal with regarding client side claims so i would definitely be proactive with them

Back