Police Report Filed. Do I Tell Insurance? Driving Me Crazy

Progressive allows you to "report a claim" online through their website. Can I use this method to notify them of an accident only (without wanting a payout)?

Whether I "report a claim" or just report an accident without wanting a payout, is the outcome the same? Even if I contact them to report an accident only, would that still ultimately be considered "reporting a claim"? Does it follow the exact same procedures? :skeptical:

Last edited:
Progressive is a direct claims reporting company. Call them and the claim is submitted. I'm still not sure why you're he!! Bent on getting your insurance company involved??

Well, early on, I would have highly recommended filing the claim. Now, over a month after the incident, if you haven't heard anything, I would probably not worry about it, just realize it will be harder to straighten out later if the other party does report it.

Since you've waited so long, there is no longer any real benefit to reporting it, that I am aware of.

Dan

Again....what is the reason you would call your own ins co in the first place? The claimant had NO damage and NO injury according to the op....and the insured is not carrying collision coverage.

What exactly would the insurance co do in this case that would make it beneficial to get them involved?

I refer you back to post 13 in this thread.
I could also refer you to the policy language that requires you to report it.

In truth my experience is that most of these accidents where there is damage to your car (as the OP stated) that even if the other person agrees that there is no damage to their car, there will be a claim filed by the other driver after they get past the 'shock' of being in an accident. This is doubly true due to the permissive driver part.

When that claim gets filed, its better if you had reported it first. If there was no damage, there really isn't a problem in reporting the accident, since it won't be charged to you anyway (no payout).

I've seen to many of these go wrong if there is a delay.

Dan

UPDATE!
To my surprise, the other party got an estimate for damages and I'll be sending him a check.
What exact form can I ask them to sign in order to protect myself from having to pay more money in the future?

Last edited:
A check for $1000?? You said originally there was no damage to his vehicle?? Why on earth are considering sending him money? There is obviously more to the story than what you've told us.

You said originally there was no damage to his vehicle??

According to the person who borrowed my car, there was no damage. I personally wasn't there so, I wouldn't really know. But judging from the dent/scratches on my car, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised...

I saw this coming.... yes, from experience (see post 25).
I would tell them to file it with the insurance company. Why pay the $1000 out of your pocket?

It comes down to how permissive use drivers are handled in your state, but in CA, you wouldn't get rated for this, yoour relative would, so I'd definitely let the insurance company handle it.

Okay, I'm a bit vindictive. I might give the relative the note and see if he wants to pony up the $1000, but I doubt that will happen.

Dan

Back