pre-existing windshield with hail damage

I had a Volvo 240 years ago. Windshield undamaged but pitted trunk, roof and hood.

Before hail might have been worth $3,000. After hail, not much.

Mechanically fine. My agent said if I filed a claim carrier would issue a check in exchange for a salvage title. He said no one would insure it since salvage usually means not road worthy.

I took the check. When the "new" title came in I sold it to a junkyard for $400. Bought a "new used" Volvo.

Had a thing for Volvo's at that time. Owned 3 of them (not at the same time).

You can get liability coverage on a vehicle with a salvage title. However, comp and collision is another story. Even with a rebuilt title you may have trouble.

Unless there is sentimental value, I really don't get holding onto the vehicle after it has been totaled out. Monetarily, the value simply isn't there since you had to pay its salvage value to retain it.

You can get liability coverage on a vehicle with a salvage title. However, comp and collision is another story. Even with a rebuilt title you may have trouble.

Unless there is sentimental value, I really don't get holding onto the vehicle after it has been totaled out. Monetarily, the value simply isn't there since you had to pay its salvage value to retain it.

I don’t understand. In this case, if the above numbers play out, I could drive the car another 100k miles or so. It seems that’s the better value compared with buying a new car. No?

I don’t understand. In this case, if the above numbers play out, I could drive the car another 100k miles or so. It seems that’s the better value compared with buying a new car. No?
It is all going to be pretty clear once you have a solid offer from the carrier on it. I will be curious about what that is when you get it. Also depends on if they let you have the car after if they have you buy it and the size of that check. Again, personally for me, I don't even ask the question, I get a windshield aftermarket if the repair doesn't work and drive that baby until it croaks or there is a "push, pull, drag" sale at your local lemon lot.

It probably all depends upon what you want. I'm not interested in a top end vehicle and getting a new car every 3 years. But I'm not also interested in a rust bucket that looks like crap and even worse if mechanically I'm not sure how much longer it will keep running.

So for me, once a vehicle is totaled, its time to get rid of it.

Did they even make Volvos in 1779

2 horse power engine. Required 2 drivers.
3747.jpg

I must confess, I loaned my ride to Ozzie Osbourne that day.

Pretty sure he had a blast. I think he thanked me profusely.

Can't understand a word he says.

Back