pre-existing windshield with hail damage

JustWheels

Would really appreciate any thoughts on this. I have a 2000 Mercury Sable and a couple of weeks ago I filed a claim for a windshield chip. The guy came out and tried to repair it and the repair failed. He quoted me a new replacement for $420. My comprehensive deductible is $1000. I was contemplating not replacing the windshield at all and then we had a larger than golf ball size hail storm two days ago and there are dents everywhere in the roof and hood of the car. The trade in value is around $1200. I'm trying to determine whether to replace the windshield and repair the hail damage through my insurance or do nothing. The car is worth $1200. I'm just going to come out and say I don't know what to do. I'm really ignorant when it comes to knowing how to make these decisions. I don't know a lot about what factors to consider in repairing, replacing or doing nothing when it comes to car insurance. I think I may have made a mistake with how much comprehensive I got. The car has only 55k miles on it. Thanks for any perspective.

A car with hail damage to the body probably has salvage value and not much more.

A cracked windshield is dangerous.

You can put $400 in a new windshield. You can get quotes from other glass companies. You can get a newer car.

A $1200 car needs little more than liability.

You MIGHT find a wiggle wand company that can remove the dents for less than the car's value but you also have your deductible to consider and $1000 is a mighty steep slope to climb on a 1200 vehicle. I doubt you will be able to replace the glass and remove the dings for under 1000 and you might want to shop around on the glass. 250 is the norm on a lot of vehicle

Thank you, both! Really appreciate these ideas and the info! I suppose if the windshield repair was successful (and hail wasn’t involved), the comprehensive may have been worth it. I think the attempt at repair, which was covered, was $80. It grew a few inches in the hail storm. It doesn’t impede the view at all though.

What is a wiggle wand company?

Dentless Paint Repair. You will see advertisements all over if your area had been hit by hail. they stick long metal rods in various places in your bodywork and wiggle out the hail dents. some places are real good but it depends on how extensive the damage is.

Thanks. There are at least 30 dents on the hood, roof, doors, and trunk. Salvage value is prob around 600.

If I file a claim and they deem my car is totaled, wouldn’t I be reimbursed for the value? Then I could have the windshield repaired. The deductible is 1k but the trade in value before the hail was 1.2k so I might end up breaking even with a new windshield. Does that seem right? Thanks.

I tell my clients, repair if you can, the windshield and drive around that golf ball. If your car is totaled they may offer you salvage or keep it. Either way you shouldn't have comp on a car worth 1200 with a 1k deduct. I would have advised liability only, or extremely low deduct @ 50 to 100 max.

Thanks for the reply, BADTROUT. Whether or not I should have comp is not my concern at this point. I did and the damage already happened. It seems it may have worked out to have the comp if the above scenario I mentioned plays out. In this case I would break even with a new windshield.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but you could do ok. Trade in value may not be the same as ACV... depends on you adjuster. @adjusterjack is probably best to speak to that part of it. Regardless, I hope it works out ok for you. It's funny, I drove a '98 Sable and getting rid of it was definately a good thing for me socially.

Back