Pregnant....Help!!!

TonyC

Guru
100+ Post Club
I just heard from a friend of mine....that he's expecting a baby! (not him...but his live in girlfriend).

I congradulated him...but he's got a problem. His girl is 7 mths pregnant and she is not covered for insurance. He's a licensed Attorney but doesn't have insurance either.

Someone had told him that he might be able to get coverage under a group plan but he would have to form it himself.

Not sure what the plausability of this is....

But...if anyone can offer some constructive ideas...i sure would appreciate it.

thanks

BTW...he is located in S.Fla.

~T

I just heard from a friend of mine....that he's expecting a baby! (not him...but his live in girlfriend).

I congradulated him...but he's got a problem. His girl is 7 mths pregnant and she is not covered for insurance. He's a licensed Attorney but doesn't have insurance either.

Someone had told him that he might be able to get coverage under a group plan but he would have to form it himself.

Not sure what the plausability of this is....

But...if anyone can offer some constructive ideas...i sure would appreciate it.

thanks

BTW...he is located in S.Fla.

~T

Maybe if his woman is 7 months pregnant he might think about getting married and taking a job which has benefits or maybe she might do the same if and when she goes back to work. Sometimes when you start a family you have change your lifestyle and learn to function like a family rather than game the system. Also, there may not be any cut rate group plan available to him. He might have to purchase expensive health to cover himself and his child. Just like millions of other Americans who might not have the same income as an attorney. Sounds like planning is not his strong point if he is just trying to figure some of this out when she is 7 months along. Of course, if they get married, she will probably lose her public assistance and free health care and he might have to chip in. We would not want that.

Winter

LOL - winter you a trip . . .

You said - " Of course, if they get married, she will probably lose her public assistance and free health care and he might have to chip in. We would not want that. "

You know what happens when you "assume" eh ?

If they get a policy at this late date - I presume the "maternity" portion would be hard to get covered - but, wouldn't the new born be covered at birth in certain policies? If so - what kind?

Tom

Group or Medicaid.

Neither can get individual coverage now.

Since neither has coverage, and can't get it, the newborn won't be covered until birth and if they are healthy.

This is simple. Send him to ehealth.

And I would face the fact that this guy is not really your "friend"...let yourself off the hook by chalking him up in the "casual acquaintance" department. This guy may be book smart but he 1) hasn't been keeping up with Dr. Laura and 2) is likely going to look everywhere else except in the mirror for the fool he is.

I cannot even imagine. While I hope the pregnancy ends well without complications, I also hope he and the girlfriend are personally stuck for every bill that results as a fact. Neither I nor you nor anyone else on this board should have to pay for some overeducated dork's moment of stupidity (and I'm sure it wasn't their "first time" either).

Yeah, I know it's harsh. So be it.

Wow...i don't know all the details but yes...i would have to agree with some of the posters. Love makes you do stupid things....especially men.

After hearing these comments...i think his best bet might be to consult with a Pediatrician..and try to work out some type of payment plan.

Or....public assistance...which i'm sure will be very humiliating for an attorney.

Geez....the trouble we get ourselves into (sigh).

Bob...why can't they get Medicaid at this point?

Group or Medicaid.

Neither can get individual coverage now.

Since neither has coverage, and can't get it, the newborn won't be covered until birth and if they are healthy.

Back