Preset Appointments- BEWARE

I, like most people, am an imperfect creature. I actually started my career with The Equitable Life Assurance Society of the U.S. on January 1st of 1981. I'll have to go back and edit that post.

For me it would be best to consider two (2) choices. My first choice would be to relocate to a state more compatible with me and my chosen productline. My second choice would be to vacate a dying industry and to partake in a new and exciting venture. This industry no longer excites me. I like paper applications and client files. This sort of control is being lost to the all-consuming internet. We're losing our identity.

I moved to Delaware in 1991 due to small group reform in my birth region of New England. It was the biggest mistake of my life.

One last thought before I close. The thought of having to secure a damned license with every community and county is quite aggravating but it's the notion that we've been reduced to being called peddlers that aggravates me the most. We were once a respected PROFESSION. It won't be long before housing developments and trailer parks (mobile home communities) will require us to register and pay a periodic fee as well.

There's much to consider in the next phase of my life.

Last edited:
We were once a respected PROFESSION.

I'm a young guy (40). I've studied a lot about life agents in the past... and I can't think of a time or place when being a life agent was "a respected profession"? I suppose that might've been when "Father Knows Best" was airing? Or "Wild Kingdom" with Mutual of Omaha?

I guess even I still have visions of agents like this:

I'm a young guy (40). I've studied a lot about life agents in the past... and I can't think of a time or place when being a life agent was "a respected profession"? I suppose that might've been when "Father Knows Best" was airing? Or "Wild Kingdom" with Mutual of Omaha?

I guess even I still have visions of agents like this:

DHK,

In the '80s I was always welcomed in the home. All an agent had to do in those days was remind the client that it was time for an annual review and you were welcomed by people of every race and walk of life. It was a time when I wore three (3) piece suits and everything I ever needed (Flitcraft Compend, calculator, client files, articles of support, rate books, and forms) was in my briefcase. If ever I needed referrals, my clients (many of them) would invite me over or send me a completed referral card.

For group, it was the best of times. I could walk into a small group (2-50 employees), gather their census and quote their group all in an afternoon. I had the rate cards and math was my friend. I love numbers. We also earned a flat 10%-12% commissions depending on the carrier of choice. At that time my two favorites were CGT (Consolidated Group Trust) and Kelsey National. Deductibles were as low as $0 and I could even give that plan 100% coinsurance. Copays and networks did not exist. Groups loved an agent that liked to drop in and spare them from the Blues.

It was a wonderful time in the industry.

The internet has turned our industry and our value proposition completely upside down. All the knowledge (not wisdom) is available in the palm of our hand.

This is no longer a knowledge business. This is a language, questions, and stories business.

It's now after 12:00 PM on September 5th of 2018. I called the lead vendor again yesterday and sternly requested that the owner (Glen Shelton of Lead Heroes) return my call and, again, I've received no return call. His voice mailbox is too full to leave a voice message. I still have not received a receipt. At this point, if he does not call me by the end of the day then I will go to my card issuer and demand a refund.

He can salvage this if he just calls me, sends me an acceptable receipt, and promises me that he will have my leads within 48 hours.

Glen (yes, I'm speaking to you), rather than wait I've decided to reverse the charges and to cancel my order. The bank has been notified and I've spoken to Lea at your office to notify her of my cancellation.

Never again!

Last edited:
Then why does Van Mueller say that "Today is the greatest time to be an insurance agent"?

And when he thinks back to "those times", he says (yells), "BACK THEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY MONEY?!"

Bull! Look at the charts.. The effective purchasing power of money has been flat for 20 years. There were plenty of people that had money in those days. As my manager told me when the recession hit during the Carter days, "Don't worry about how many people do not have any money and focus on the ones that do.".

Bull! Look at the charts.. The effective purchasing power of money has been flat for 20 years. There were plenty of people that had money in those days. As my manager told me when the recession hit during the Carter days, "Don't worry about how many people do not have any money and focus on the ones that do.".

My best years were in the late '80s and the decade of the '90s. There was far greater opportunity in the small group business prior to small group reform and certainly before the ACA.

In my opinion, the future is in grave doubt.

You're right. But what does Van Mueller possibly know? He only does about $3+ million or more in commission business per year with 30-50 appointments a week. On a webinar this year, he said he made MDRT Top of the Table by February 28th this year... and he does his production in 7 months because the rest of the time he's out speaking.

You can either believe in the doom and gloom... or you can become a better problem solver for today's issues and help people reposition themselves to take advantage of opportunities when they arise.

Your choice.

The good news, is you can learn from Van Mueller on YouTube. I have a long training session and there's that NAIFA presentation there. Good stuff.

You can either believe in the doom and gloom... or you can become a better problem solver for today's issues and help people reposition themselves to take advantage of opportunities when they arise.

Your choice.
I think there's a lot to that. I think a lot of it's between the ears. Just like you hear a lot of agents say that Christmas week is a bad time to work. One of my best weeks ever was during Christmas week.

I find doing business easier than I used to. Maybe it's because I've become a better problem solver. :yes:

"Don't worry about how many people do not have any money and focus on the ones that do." <<< I agree with that 110% Louis.

Last edited:
Back