Progressive "Snapshot" Program

Word to the wise. I used it for a couple of months and it drained the battery on my 04 Lexus so I had to replace it. Progressive reimbursed me but it was a hassle. They gave me a 21 percent discount. My local agent had the gall to call and ask me to pose in a marketing photo for Snapshot. I told her Progressive should reimburse me for my time of testing the battery, getting it replaced, etc. I told her I felt like a guinea pig. I think she got the point. Buyer beware!!

One case. I've used it myself and have sold many policies enrolled in the program. The only problems I had were with people who were being too lazy to install it.

The only real problem I had was with an old lady who was not going to be driving the car due to illness and was seeking treatment out-of-state. The device requires you to not have the car inactive for too long. You're supposed to at least turn it on like once a day, and since she wasn't going to be around her son was going to have to do it, but something happened where the battery died or the garage was shielding it from communication. They locked in her discount where it was and asked her to send back the device.

And I doubt it drained your battery. It only powers on when the car is on. You probably had a short somewhere.

I think this is pretty smart on Progressives part, why not reward those that drive safely? We are yet to have a customer not get a discount. We even had one lady flip her truck (at fault) while using one, and they sent her another one to redo the process.

About 3 years ago a captive company( Amceran ...) toyed with this program you had to buy the system TIWI very similar to this program. The device was $180 - $300 you installed and then down loaded. Agents were told they needed to sell the device to the client and get a $25 bonus per unit. My agency looked into it there was relatively no support on the product. They marketed directly to clients saying your agent could install and help. That did not fly well with the captive agent and when you looked at buying on line they were less expensive directly from the manufacturer, it made little sense to send your client directly the site to save money.
When they purchase the device on line. They would end up in your office requesting help to install the plug, and your obligated to assist because this was a company sponsored program. So you were working for free, and the company received marking information from the client and you with no compensation.
Install took 15 minutes and 10 minute talking keeping relation up.. Not cost efficient to the agent.

So it was never warmly received by captives, and it just went by the wayside. In addition agencies were told premium in the future will be rated on " Household Composition". Not sure what that means but will find out soon enough.

Word to the wise. I used it for a couple of months and it drained the battery on my 04 Lexus so I had to replace it. Progressive reimbursed me but it was a hassle. They gave me a 21 percent discount. My local agent had the gall to call and ask me to pose in a marketing photo for Snapshot. I told her Progressive should reimburse me for my time of testing the battery, getting it replaced, etc. I told her I felt like a guinea pig. I think she got the point. Buyer beware!!

How did you prove that it was causing the battery problem?

Snapshot is a great selling tool. Use it or lose it (the sale)...Progressive is not the evil empire.

Snapshot is a great program! I've had numerous people I insured in New Jersey see rates drop significantly at renewal due to this program.

OK...let's shut this thread down...if this drops off the radar I move up to page 1 google for the term "progressive snapshot program" Otherwise, I'm forced to bring out the big guns

Back