Question for agents who have a website

Each time I put a video on one of my PPC landing pages my conversions went up substantially.

The videos play for under 60 seconds.

I wrote some code that keeps the video from loading if the visitor has a slower connection. However, few people have dial up today. So that may not matter much any more.

These are pages that people will typically visit once.

The conversions for my private medical insurance form went up by about 25% (not 25% of the number of visitors, 25% of the number who previously converted) when I added the video. I got similar feedback for the pages I have dedicated to auto and other lines.

If you have enough traffic to make the statistics meaningful, you can do a simple A B test and not depend on opinions and guesswork.

Simply keep track of your traffic and bounce rate for a week (or some statistically meaningful period of time) then add the video for the next week. Your stats should tell you what to do.

The middle weeks of the month tend to be better for testing. I tend to get more traffic during the first and last weeks of the month, although the conversion rate stays pretty constant.

Alston, do you have the videos load automatically? I don't really have enough traffic yet to make the tests meaningful so I'm going off of the advice from experts like you.

I wouldn't mind having some sort of video on my site if it was professional looking (not something the local high school AV Club put together) and if it either didn't start automatically or had an option to stop it.

I personally don't like videos when I go to websites but Iguess it's like you said, if it works than I'd use it.

Depending on the video - if it's just supposed to be informative and your voice is horrible go here: Voices.com | #1 Voice Over Marketplace for Voice Overs and Voice Over Talent - you can post a job for free and professionals will bid. I'm having a series of videos done and I'm quite pleased.

So you're just using photos or slides for your video with a professional voiceover? That sounds like something I might be more interested in. I just don't want to cheapen my site with a video like some of the youtube ones posted earlier on this thread.

I tried to do it myself. That didn't work. I found a friend that would do it for me. That didn't work. I found someone on the Forum that seemed to know their stuff. That worked.

And now...a rap song about this guy:

His name is Val...and he is now a pal....He lives far away...but what the hay...

He knows his stuff...and that's no bluff...He's always around...easy to be found...

His price is right...Actually, fairly light...Now if you need a site...I know he won't bite...

Haha Ed,

You have some real MC'ing skills, I wonder if you can translate them to some cool dance too :)

Your sites turned out great and I believe that you're already seeing improved rankings on your favorite keywords.

Now that blogs are added and you're very good in writing articles, your sites will gain more traffic from search engines.

Thanks,

Val.

When I think of videos on the main page, I can't help but think about the annoying recordings people used to put on their phone answering machines. They seemed cute and were funny the first time you called someone and left a message. And then you got really sick of wasting your time with the same lame message over and over again.

Unless you think people will visit your site just once, I would have any videos on a link, maybe in an "about us" page.

I think when you start talking about different marketing campaigns and ideas you also have to talk about the group you are focusing on. This quote mentions videos on the main page without talking about the average person who visits the site. If you don't have an idea about the people that visit the site then you are just posted a video to "see if it works". An example would be: How would different generations are going to react to a video of this kind being posted on the website. And of course any time you talk about generation you are talking in general terms. I think I can speak from Gen Y stand point. If a major part of your client base is not Gen Y then this may not apply to you. People in Gen Y are used to videos on MySpace and Youtube. We can pickout which video we want to watch out of 20 on a page. Gen Y responds to humor, irony and unvarnished truth. If you post a video about who you are a what you do...boring. I personally like videos because I can get a lot of information, possibly humor, without having to read through a lot of text.

I think when you start talking about different marketing campaigns and ideas you also have to talk about the group you are focusing on. This quote mentions videos on the main page without talking about the average person who visits the site. If you don't have an idea about the people that visit the site then you are just posted a video to "see if it works". An example would be: How would different generations are going to react to a video of this kind being posted on the website. And of course any time you talk about generation you are talking in general terms. I think I can speak from Gen Y stand point. If a major part of your client base is not Gen Y then this may not apply to you. People in Gen Y are used to videos on MySpace and Youtube. We can pickout which video we want to watch out of 20 on a page. Gen Y responds to humor, irony and unvarnished truth. If you post a video about who you are a what you do...boring. I personally like videos because I can get a lot of information, possibly humor, without having to read through a lot of text.

Couldn't you have posted a video? That was alot of reading.

I think I would go this route: have a picture of yourself that links to a video and have a mouse-over pop up (or text under the picture) that says "Click to see my video".

Back