Question on Replacing a Policy that Will Be Rescinded

They tell you don't worry about getting money back? That is very odd, would make me think they were in on it.

I got a guy about a grand back a few months ago. Guy replaced my Aetna with Trans. Wrote him as female.

Hate to comment on an older post but it brought back a memory for me. When I first started selling on the phone, I had someone tell me Male but they identified as female.

My boss just shrugged and said write it as what they identify as. So female it was.

I know there's a lot of clean sheeting going on out there. I run into it often enough. Sometimes it's obvious and sometimes not. But I wouldn't just assume the agent did it on purpose. Nor would I assume the client lied. Sometimes it's just a mistake or a misunderstanding.

As a young and fairly new agent, I had my first policy rescinded. I had asked every health question verbatim on the app (as I always do), which was a yes/no app. She answered no to all of them, so she was issued preferred. They didn't have Script Check available back then. She was rescinded because she was taking a heart medication, so the heart disease question should have been answered yes.

I believe she just misunderstood the question, and I partly blame the company for the way it was worded. (Since then they redid the apps and changed the wording on that question.) So I wasn't clean sheeting, and I don't believe the client was lying either.

Due to that experience, I learned to ask about what medications a prospect is taking before I proceed with the app, or even quote a premium. This is especially important if you're using one of the companies that doesn't check MIB or prescription records.

As a young and fairly new agent, I had my first policy rescinded. I had asked every health question verbatim on the app (as I always do), which was a yes/no app. She answered no to all of them, so she was issued preferred. They didn't have Script Check available back then. She was rescinded because she was taking a heart medication, so the heart disease question should have been answered yes.

I believe she just misunderstood the question, and I partly blame the company for the way it was worded. (Since then they redid the apps and changed the wording on that question.) So I wasn't clean sheeting, and I don't believe the client was lying either.

This is huge and I believe is a large part of this. Applicants don't understand the question and as agents we do need to be careful in explaining the question. Very easy to unintentionally coach someone to give an incorrect answer, although a false Yes is definitely safer than a false No.

Back