Recording calls

State laws vary - some require BOTH parties be aware of recording while others require only ONE party be aware of recording.

Of course disclaiming the recording is always playing it safe or add it to your intro message on your phone system.

I made a cautionary statement to the effect, same as yours, in another thread, that we need to check our state laws. You may find yourself accused of wiretapping.

Usually one-way calls can be recorded, such as leaving a message on an answering machine, but when two parties are engaged in a conversation, the party wishing to record must ask permission first, or have a periodic "beep" indicating the conversation is being recorded.

but when two parties are engaged in a conversation, the party wishing to record must ask permission first, or have a periodic "beep" indicating the conversation is being recorded.

The last time I checked Missouri law it stated that only one party needed to know the call was being recorded, that would be me. No mention of beeping or asking permission.

The law may have changed since then but it would be worth investigating especially if you are planning on recording every phone call.

I made a cautionary statement to the effect, same as yours, in another thread, that we need to check our state laws. You may find yourself accused of wiretapping.

Usually one-way calls can be recorded, such as leaving a message on an answering machine, but when two parties are engaged in a conversation, the party wishing to record must ask permission first, or have a periodic "beep" indicating the conversation is being recorded.

This is a quick overview of laws by states Telephone recording laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd go a step further as Wikipedia can be edited by anyone who thinks they have a clue, I've found several errors in their content.

Right, you are Rob... I took your comment to heart and went to the FCC site. Recording Telephone Conversations

Lookee at what I found:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted rules regarding the manner in which telephone companies may record wireline telephone conversations. The FCC currently has no rules regarding recording of telephone conversations by individuals, but federal and many state laws may prohibit this practice.

That should settle the issue of FCC involvement that I mentioned in another thread. My bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'd be interested to know which states they are wrong about.

Here ya go, Frank!
American Legal Guide on Recording Telephone Conversations (USA)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mo. Rev. Stat. § 542.402: Only an individual who is a party to a wire communication, or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication, can lawfully record it or disclose its contents unless it is intercepted for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act. Recording or disclosing the contents of a wire communication by all other persons is a felony.

Anyone whose communications have been recorded or disclosed in violation of the law can bring a civil suit to recover the greater of actual damages, $100 a day for each day of violation or $1,000, and can recover punitive damages, attorney fees and litigation costs as well. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 542.418.
:)

Last edited:
Mo. Rev. Stat. § 542.402: Only an individual who is a party to a wire communication, or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication, can lawfully record it or disclose its contents unless it is intercepted for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act. Recording or disclosing the contents of a wire communication by all other persons is a felony.

It appears to not have changed. I do not need to tell the other person that I am recording the call.

Back