Recording calls

That's great info right there, thanks!!

Right, you are Rob... I took your comment to heart and went to the FCC site. Recording Telephone Conversations

Lookee at what I found:

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted rules regarding the manner in which telephone companies may record wireline telephone conversations. The FCC currently has no rules regarding recording of telephone conversations by individuals, but federal and many state laws may prohibit this practice.

That should settle the issue of FCC involvement that I mentioned in another thread. My bad.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here ya go, Frank!
American Legal Guide on Recording Telephone Conversations (USA)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mo. Rev. Stat. § 542.402: Only an individual who is a party to a wire communication, or who has the consent of one of the parties to the communication, can lawfully record it or disclose its contents unless it is intercepted for the purpose of committing a criminal or tortious act. Recording or disclosing the contents of a wire communication by all other persons is a felony.

Anyone whose communications have been recorded or disclosed in violation of the law can bring a civil suit to recover the greater of actual damages, $100 a day for each day of violation or $1,000, and can recover punitive damages, attorney fees and litigation costs as well. Mo. Rev. Stat. § 542.418.
:)

Does anyone have a number for Linda Tripp?? She could clear this up for us...

I'm quite sure she will confirm that it is against the law to record a conversation two (or more) other people are having without their knowledge!:laugh:

Maryland state prosecutors dropped illegal wiretap charges against Tripp. She was indicted for recording a December 22, 1997, phone call with Lewinsky and for illegally revealing its contents to the magazine Newsweek in January 1998. Maryland law forbids recording phone conversations without the permission of both parties. Under the state law, an individual can only be prosecuted for wiretapping if they are aware of the law.

Last edited:
Back