Redesign Vs. Second Site

Which Would You Do?

• Two Sites

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Re-Brand

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
You have a very strong site that is performing well for some tough to get keywords.. That will be difficult to duplicate.. I would try to incorporate some of the new lines of business into your current site... Google looks at your site as a whole but the rankings for each page.. It will be much easier to rank a blog post or page from this site than starting fresh..

I was thinking this same thing. Besides the obvious amount of work required to create a second site, my domain is 3 years old. There are no shortcuts for maturing a domain.

I also have editorial links from places like huffingtonpost.com and other high ranking domains I did not solicit.

What I'm worried about is when I change the content on pages like my homepage, I may lose rankings for certain target keywords but that's starting to look like the lesser of two evils.

Unless there are any compelling arguments for two sites, I'm leaning towards just upgrading my current site at this point.

Create some new categories for those lines of business and set up a silo structure for them.

BruceClay - SEO Silos - how to build a website silo architecture

Thanks for the great resource. I follow the internet marketing industry almost religiously and have never heard of this guy or seen his site. There's a lot of useful info on there.

Good discussion here. I have a similar decision in my business (not insurance) coming up so have been thinking about this.

I'm leaning towards taking advantage of the DA of my current domain to offer new products and services in the same vertical. However, I'm OK with cannibalizing the current focus of my home page and it sounds like you are not.

Silos are a good idea but it will take more SEO juice to power multiple silos on your existing domain to rank for different product targets. I've seen this first hand on my site and others where a new site with a home page dedicated to a certain keyword target is more powerful than a silo on an existing domain with authority. Hard to say for sure.

Think of your total domain authority being filtered to your different silos. The more silos you have on a domain, the less powerful the domain authority is that goes to each silo because it's being spread between them. And in my experience, the most powerful silo or keyword target (one that gets best SE rankings) is the one that gets the most home page presence. You'd be able to give more home page presence to your new products on a new dedicated site.

If you do decide to change around your current site, make sure to keep URLs intact and also keep in mind that changing page content (especially home page) will probably result in some reshuffling of your rankings.

Back