Referrals and Approaching Business Owners with Flyers

Hey everyone,

Just wanted some advice. After completing a sale, how do you go about asking for referrals?

And as for flyers, how do you approach business owners?
What is good to say?

I am of the belief that if your going to ASK a new customer for referrals, and potentially upset the current BALANCE in your new relationship - you need to avoid that - and make the referral asking process a part of the up front proposal. This way, when you make them a client they are not in an awkward position of feeling like you are getting one up on them. Some people dont mind - others do.

What I mean by this is - they asked you to provide a solution to their issues of insurance, and they indicated they would exchange YOUR solution for a premium payment to the carrier - for which you get remuneration. Policy issued - premium paid - commissions earned. Agreement in Balance.

Now that the agreement is done, you - after the fact - alter the agreement - by asking them to put their credibility on the line FOR YOU, and likely with nothing of merit to the new client in return. IMBALANCE in the relationship, and sometimes very awkward silence when you go through your corny "Who do you know script ..." Havent we all been there?

They typically are NOT motivated by $$$ to give referrals either. Trust is the #1 factor [IMHO].

Im much more a fan of strategic relationships of other like minded business people who have clients like the ones I want or access to them - and they can put it in the middle of the fairway for me to put it on the green - via personal introductions.

Bill Cates is a Referral Guru you might want to look into if Direct Face To Face Asking clients floats yer boat. He's got some great material.

And before some of you guys give me your macho BS about if you cant ask your clients ... blah blah blah - save it. Did it for years. It has nothing to do with having the cajones to do it. Its that it is the LEAST effective method I ever used.

Why? clients are either to lazy or busy or self centered to give 2 rips ...

Now I get all the referrals I can handle from highly motivated Strategic Alliances. No Yellow Pages - No Leads sevices - No Begging - No Groveling.

Hunt for Hunters ...

As for the "flyers" ... been there done that.

Now instead of sending a 1000 pieces I send 20, and have better results. Requires a better targeted list, but thats available on the internet - FREE. [ The Way I do It ]

You can spray and pray on the flyers or mailers it WILL work - as will anything really if your willing to do it ENOUGH consistantly.

PM me your address and I'll send you some samples what I send Biz Owners that gets Opened 95% of the time, Read at about the same rates, recalled at about an 85% rate or greater.

Now I get all the referrals I can handle from highly motivated Strategic Alliances. No Yellow Pages - No Leads sevices - No Begging - No Groveling.

(snip)

PM me your address and I'll send you some samples what I send Biz Owners that gets Opened 95% of the time, Read at about the same rates, recalled at about an 85% rate or greater.

Why not just send Steve the $395 for his program now and avoid all sales material that is sure to follow.

I'm wondering what percent of the posters on any given day here are trying to sell something to us... like SoCalBroker is doing in this thread.

I'm not being critical, I'm just curious.

I am of the belief that if your going to ASK a new customer for referrals, and potentially upset the current BALANCE in your new relationship - you need to avoid that - and make the referral asking process a part of the up front proposal. This way, when you make them a client they are not in an awkward position of feeling like you are getting one up on them. Some people dont mind - others do.

What I mean by this is - they asked you to provide a solution to their issues of insurance, and they indicated they would exchange YOUR solution for a premium payment to the carrier - for which you get remuneration. Policy issued - premium paid - commissions earned. Agreement in Balance.

Now that the agreement is done, you - after the fact - alter the agreement - by asking them to put their credibility on the line FOR YOU, and likely with nothing of merit to the new client in return. IMBALANCE in the relationship, and sometimes very awkward silence when you go through your corny "Who do you know script ..." Havent we all been there?

They typically are NOT motivated by $$$ to give referrals either. Trust is the #1 factor [IMHO].

Im much more a fan of strategic relationships of other like minded business people who have clients like the ones I want or access to them - and they can put it in the middle of the fairway for me to put it on the green - via personal introductions.

Bill Cates is a Referral Guru you might want to look into if Direct Face To Face Asking clients floats yer boat. He's got some great material.

And before some of you guys give me your macho BS about if you cant ask your clients ... blah blah blah - save it. Did it for years. It has nothing to do with having the cajones to do it. Its that it is the LEAST effective method I ever used.

Why? clients are either to lazy or busy or self centered to give 2 rips ...

Hunt for Hunters ...

As for the "flyers" ... been there done that.

Now instead of sending a 1000 pieces I send 20, and have better results. Requires a better targeted list, but thats available on the internet - FREE. [ The Way I do It ]

You can spray and pray on the flyers or mailers it WILL work - as will anything really if your willing to do it ENOUGH consistantly.

why make thing so complicated....
at the end of sale ask the client if they have anybody in mind that wants or needs the service you provide they usually say yes..
if not then move on
simple as that

Why not just send Steve the $395 for his program now and avoid all sales material that is sure to follow.

I'm wondering what percent of the posters on any given day here are trying to sell something to us... like SoCalBroker is doing in this thread.

I'm not being critical, I'm just curious.

Very funny Al............LOL

I am moving to a new area and want to target business owners. Any suggestions on how to reach out to them.
I was thinking of some sort of targeted direct mail program with a business reply card.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I would be interested in seeing your samples. If you would, please forward them to me at:
P.S.Brown
PO Box 5066
Vancleave, MS 39565

Last edited:
targeted direct mail program with a business reply card

Anything will work as long as you have the time and money. That particular approach has a very low ROI, but it will eventually generate business.

Back