Religious and secular work

Garrett3984

I came to a Final Expense session thinking it was a good opportunity.

Once the presenter called the meeting to order, "church broke out" he asked if any minister is here and had her open with prayer.

I rather keep my service to God and my secular affairs separated, buy acting in a manner that shows I have Biblical personality.

Then kept getting numberous text messages with religious.

Anyone else expetience such?

I have no aversion to incorporating a Christlike (as much as my imperfect self can at least) approach to my business, I try to let my bit of sunshine show if you will... BUT for anything church or secular, I dont like being lured into something under false pretences.

Who knew free breakfast at a hotel would turn into a timeshare pitch... or free steak dinner for community business leaders invite only would turn into a pitch for Masterguard Smoke Alarms... they suck by the way.

Once the presenter called the meeting to order, "church broke out" he asked if any minister is here and had her open with prayer.

I rather keep my service to God and my secular affairs separated, buy acting in a manner that shows I have Biblical personality.

I would point you to C. S. Lewis and his thoughts on secular vs. religious.

I don't think that is such a good idea and paints a poor picture on religion.

This is something that I am hesitant to chime in on, but I think its something that will always be looked at from different sides. Unfortunately, some of the shadiest people I have met in this business pimp out their "faith" to get you to trust them, and then they are the first to stab you in the back.

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with incorporating your faith. Things can get muddy real quick with the wrong intentions. Personally, I'd rather have people find out about me by my actions instead of my soap box. I think that is a best practice.

I am a Christian; pray and read the scriptures daily. I also am very leery of people having "their religion on the shirtsleeve." (Where did that expression come from, anyway?) Because of my bad experience with con artists using religion to turn on the charm, I am a little leery of expressing my convictions until people know me well and don't think I am trying to make a good impression.
SAD STORY:
Some years back I was interviewing with an agency selling benefits to federal employees. The prospects happened to be predominately black postal workers. One of the managers was wearing a lapel pin in the shape of a cross with the words "JESUS FIRST" on it. (I guess he got it by making a small contribution to one of the Falwells. When I sincerely complemented him on his lapel pin he snickered and said "The n****rs really eat that up."
That's why lots of folks distrust both folks making a show of their religion and all us insurance agents.
One other thought on public prayer: As an evangelical Christian, I pray to God the Father in Jesus name. I am not going to pray in any other way, nor will I expect my friends of other convictions to give up their beliefs to pray in the manner I understand as scriptural. So why not limit our prayers to when we are "alone in the closet" and with folks who share the same convictions?

I am a man full of faults, hounded daily by my own misdeeds and failures. A review of my own life at times would make for a very poor commercial for faith in Christ. I do not view the faith I posses as a religion, but as a relationship to someone who I am in need of moment by moment throughout my daily existence.

Back