Renting Booth Space in Fairs

Also check into sponsorships - especially races. 3K and 5K races are all over the place and usually there's a sponsor tent or booths for sponsors. All the racers migrate through the booths before and after the race and I can't think of a better target market then runners.

Here's a start: Running in the USA - Find Races

One of MD's largest insurance agencies, Kelly & Associates, is a staple at these events: XTERRA River Valley Run - scroll down and check out the sponsors.

I have done senior shows and some have been great...others not so.

If you are in the senior market, stop by a senior center and look at the calender of events and grab some senior publications.

The problem with this is obvious - I'm only one man. Just one event can take the entire weekend and some fairs can last 3 to 5 days. I'm not huge on trade shows because many are from Friday through Sunday requiring the table to be manned at all times.

I'm not all to sure about how a booth at some county fair would go. I picture 98% of everyone walking by and 2% stopping to grab a brochure. That's not to say it wouldn't turn a profit. If it cost $1,500 and you landed a few deals you've made money - but you have to factor your time into and ask yourself if you could have landed 3 extra clients by using other methods without spending 12 hours a day standing behind a booth at a fair. Believe it or not, I think smaller local events would pull better results then huge events. I got more clients out of a local health fair in '04 then a huge trade show.

I think the running sponsorships are perfect. You get a table and almost all races are Sat. or Sun. morning. You'd be out the door at 6am but back by 11am. A lot of these races (I run in a lot of 5k's) kick off at 8am and are wrapped up by 9am.

I think those big events need sponsorship by the large carriers. The cost is prohibitive for a small agency, or a ppga. And you always need 2-3 people to man a booth. Remember, perception is everything and there is strength in numbers. Think back of your impression of a 1-man booth vs. several workers, esp if they all wear the same logo shirts/caps and have a uniform look. Instead of a rag-tag assortment. (one shows up in plaid, another in pink, a third in green/red Hawaiian shirt)

On the cheap side, just mill around at these events wearing a T-shirt advertising your place. "Need insurance? 555-555-5555 or dial a quote....#####, .

Since you won't be enrolling people on the spot, basically you're looking for lead generation. So you need a gimmick, a raffle, and as you call everyone ask to send them info. I've seen few repeats at senior fairs. And the only booths with some traffic at trade shows might be Auto/Home.

Would you do this senior fair? Seems awfully expensive for two hours! They called me yesterday (late notice, maybe?) asking me to be a sponsor. I told them I thought it was way over-priced and that it did not look like it penciled out.... but I'd give it some thought and let them know today.

I'm a senior. I'm probably better off going as a guest and working the room? :-)

Al

Well let's keep it real - no one on this board knows how well stuff like this will work. It wouldn't even matter if some members had good or bad personal experiences since there's too many variables to consider. One agent in NC would have done a fair and gotten his ass handed to him while another agent in FL could have kicked ass.

We've all been to those trade shows where one person's sitting in a chair behind the table while the person at the next booth is standing in front of the table handing out literature to everyone. I've even been to trade shows where the person behind the table was reading a book.

I think "you" are a major component that dictates success or failure. Is the display enticing or boring? Does your banner or display say "Health Solutions Agency" or "GET FREE INSTANT QUOTES!" I think if you have a fantastic personality, stood out in front of your booth and simply talked to everyone you'd destroy any trade show.

Markets are different. Something successful in CT might flop in FL. I guess what I'm getting at is if you're interest is peaked this is something you simply have to do. I for one am getting much more active in my local community and will start becoming a fixture at all local events.

Al -

Would I do that event? Depends. How may years have they done the event? What is the expected turnout there? Would you be the only insurance agent there? How many sales would you need to have to make it worth your while?

When I work events like that, I usually have a drawing for a gift card. That way I am getting names. Will they let you do that there?

Would you do this senior fair? Seems awfully expensive for two hours! They called me yesterday (late notice, maybe?) asking me to be a sponsor. I told them I thought it was way over-priced and that it did not look like it penciled out.... but I'd give it some thought and let them know today.

I'm a senior. I'm probably better off going as a guest and working the room? :-)

Al

Al for $250 I'd be all over that. I think you have added legitimacy with your age and more seniors would approach your table. I also think it's a no-brainer that you'd well more than recoup the $250.

To reiterate what an owner at a dealership told me when I asked how the full-page ads pulled: "I only know what they'd pull if I didn't run 'em."

In my experience these shows are great for getting leads. I've personally written health, life, auto, & homeowners insurance on leads generated through these shows. I've worked 3 home shows, 1 childrens fair, and 1 health fair and have written good business from them all.

There is something to be said for the "strength in numbers" another agent mentioned. Show's a "team atmosphere" and has worked great for me and the other agents I work with.

The best people to market to in my opinion are the other exhibitors themselves who are small business owners. No better leads than those. I simply walk up to them, introduce myself, and offer my services. You'd be suprised how a low key approach like that can generate leads.

I'll be working another home show in September. I'll keep you all posted on how many leads I've generated (health & life) and how many deals I've closed from these leads, if anybody cares.

Al -

When I work events like that, I usually have a drawing for a gift card. That way I am getting names. Will they let you do that there?

Forgot to mention this, this is very important to get the people to stop and talk. We give out a $100 gift certificate to a very nice upscale restaurant every day of the event. This is a good hook to get people to stop and talk to you.

Back