Residential Marketing Techniques

I get the feeling most of the agents on the board do B2B, which is great. Unfortunately, that won't work for some agents. What techniques have you found effective when it comes to residential sales?

Believe me, I've been wondering this too. Some products are just not ideal for B2B and would probably actually sell better R2R--if you can make a positive impression and not be seen as a pain in the ass.

The only things I can think of are telemarketing (be willing to accept a high rejection rate) or knocking on doors with a promo, giveaway, sweepstake, or seminar invitation (be willing to accept some cold responses and the occasional outright jackass) and trying to set an appointment when the response is positive.

Could go out and do "Edward Jones" type marketing where you introduce your self with out trying to sell anything.

They introduce themselves as local FA and ask if they could mail or stop by another time to chat. Basically the Drip method of marketing.

Love or hate Edward Jones most of their FA's have built their book this way.

No pressure, just drop off a flyer and put a face to the name.

I use drip as with commercial insurance. Owners generally don't switch till x-date. So if I find out the x-date is 8 months away I begin marketing early and keep my name in front of prospect. When I call a month before x-date they feel comfortable with me. Or at very least they feel obligated to give me a quote... :wink:

Having said all that its a slow proccess.

I have basically thought about ordering 1000 coffee mugs, glasses, or fridge magnet calendars with my company logo, name, and number on them and just walking house-to-house throughout the community and handing them out with business cards while saying hello. If somebody seemed receptive, I could try to shoot for a 20 minute intro appointment later that week where I would tell them more about me, NYL, and leave a form for them to review for the second appointment. I have no idea how this might go over. The whole theory is people will be a little nicer if you're giving them something. :?: Of course, one has to avoid the poorer communities. Even though there has to be some hidden money in there somewhere, I don't want to deal with the crackheads and Jerry Springer trash.

Residential? Okay if you must and this will vary depending upon what you are trying to market.

Print out 10,000 flyers or more depending upon your local paper circulation. Take those flyers down to the newspaper and pay them to place in the next days paper. Around here it cost me about 450 dollars (?), I get a good deal it may be higher if paying 100% of boat. Yet just go to the Papers website and look under Advertising and look for "Inserts" or just give them a call. I found this to work for Senior Products, since they tend to be the readers.

NHB_MMA said:
I have basically thought about ordering 1000 coffee mugs, glasses, or fridge magnet calendars with my company logo, name, and number on them and just walking house-to-house throughout the community and handing them out with business cards while saying hello. If somebody seemed receptive, I could try to shoot for a 20 minute intro appointment later that week where I would tell them more about me, NYL, and leave a form for them to review for the second appointment. I have no idea how this might go over. The whole theory is people will be a little nicer if you're giving them something. :?: Of course, one has to avoid the poorer communities. Even though there has to be some hidden money in there somewhere, I don't want to deal with the crackheads and Jerry Springer trash.

Give it a shot - I think it'll work. I like the idea of giving them something. I did residential sales with the gas and electric deregulation for four years with fantastic success. It's obviously a pure numbers game but I think an extremely low-key approach might work very well. I also did residental fund raising while in college and it worked well.

I think what you're going to have to understand is that to a degree everything works; telemarketing, BtoB, residential, internet leads, advertising, etc...It all just depends on your budget and something that fits your personality. You'll never stick with any marketing technique you don't enjoy.

NHB_MMA said:
I have basically thought about ordering 1000 coffee mugs, glasses, or fridge magnet calendars with my company logo, name, and number on them ....

and I am sure NYL will give you a great deal on it also....sounds like the things that Met use to tell me.....

NHB_MMA said:
I have basically thought about ordering 1000 coffee mugs, glasses, or fridge magnet calendars with my company logo, name, and number on them ....

and I am sure NYL will give you a great deal on it also....sounds like the things that Met use to tell me.....

Yea, I wonder how much NYL and others make off these promotional items, they must be laughing all the way to the bank.

James said:
Residential? Okay if you must and this will vary depending upon what you are trying to market.
Print out 10,000 flyers or more depending upon your local paper circulation. Take those flyers down to the newspaper and pay them to place in the next days paper.

What kind of return do you get? 2%?

Back