Retail Shops

dobi

Expert
Have a question: what does anyone think about the retail shops that have been cropping up? good or bad? does the carrier set them up or is that something that the agent would have to contract to do?

I presume you're referring to the carrier-branded storefronts.

It's my understanding that these are wholly owned and run by the carrier, and staffed with carrier personnel. It's a combined community outreach/marketing campaign, and direct sales resource.

IMO, it's a good thing for the carriers, and their brand. I don't think it hurts brokers. While they will certainly "poach" some of the business from brokers, most clients seek out brokers because they can offer all companies and have answers to questions.

It's like the difference between visiting an "apple store" and a "Best Buy". Brokers are the "Best Buy", with myriad companies and broad knowledge. Just like Best Buy, we largely help those who don't know enough to help themselves (if they did, they'd just go online and buy it themselves). The Apple Store, like the carrier storefronts, is where people who know what they want go to obtain it, or where people with product-specific questions go for answers.

They are wholly owned by the carrier and sad thing is their employee's for the most part are poorly trained.

They hurt us very bad when they opened and still are.

Back