Retired / Classic / Show Semi Truck insurance

Chris909

We are the Southern California Chapter of the American Truck Historical Society. aths.org or socalaths.com. Many of our members are facing challenges insuring their trucks. We had Gulfway Insurance out of Florida that had a special policy for us through Travelers Insurance. Travelers dropped us and Hagerty took it over. Hagerty grandfathered the Gulfway policies in, but have new requirements for new policies. Hagerty is requiring the trucks to be in an enclosed shop or pole barn now, Gulfway only required them to be behind a locked gate. Lets face it, not many folks in Southern California can afford the real estate to house a semi truck in a garage. Most of these trucks are not show perfect, but they are loved just the same. All of the classic car insurance companies share this "shelter" requirement if they will consider it at all. Standard automotive insurance companies want to insure them as commercial vehicles, which they are not, this is cost prohibitive. They may travel at the very most 2000 to 3000 miles a year with no cargo. They have Historical Vehicle license plates through CA DMV which classifies them as automobiles rather than commercial vehicles and also makes it illegal for us to use them in any commercial fashion whatsoever. We do like to have the option to pull our camping trailer to a truck show. My understanding is that for some reason its this way in California and Florida, but easier everywhere else. There must be a way, I just haven't found it yet, that's why I'm here. Any information or help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 175371444_10226181972158783_8776140064198448482_n.jpg
    175371444_10226181972158783_8776140064198448482_n.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 6
You're going to want to have an agent to work with. You should find a good one who is experienced with this specialty type of insurance.

Furthermore, if you want an insurance carrier to cover for the loss or damages on a vehicle that's nearly impossible to replace, and a nightmare to restore, then it's understandable if they ask the owner to hold up their end and store it in a way that protects it.

Finally, from going to your website, it looks like you have many members throughout all your chapters. There is likely enough volume that a carrier could build a custom program for your organization. I've seen it before. That's something you would want to look into, again, with a good experienced agent.

Can anyone recommend an agent that might want to attempt this? As the local chapter president I get calls on this fairly often, I could see it being worth an agents time in the long run...Thanks for the responses

It's a specialized personal lines market, and I've been commercial only for several years, so I can't suggest anyone specifically. Someone else on here may have some good suggestions, or you may want to do some research and/or reach out to some agents specializing in this, and see what they have to say.

I think a lot of owners would be satisfied just to get liability coverage at a reasonable rate, it doesn't necessarily have to be a stated or agreed value policy, we just want to be able to drive our trucks legally.

Lets face it, not many folks in Southern California can afford the real estate to house a semi truck in a garage.

Yet they can afford to own a collectible semi truck.

All of the classic car insurance companies share this "shelter" requirement if they will consider it at all.

That's right. It's an eternal dilemma. I have a car collection and I am familiar with most of the collector car programs. They all require that the vehicle be in a fully enclosed lockable building.

I sold those policies when I was an agent back in the 70s and 80s. Many prospects had their collector cars in a carport or outside in the back yard. Or they wanted to drive it to work once in a while. Sorry, doesn't qualify.

Those program requirements are strict because the rates are low for occasional use of a qualified vehicle for car hobby purposes.

I insure my 96 Dodge Viper for $28,000 agreed value on J. C. Taylor's classic auto policy. It costs me $257 per year. On my regular insurance it would probably cost me the same $740 per year that I pay for full coverage on my 2020 Dodge Challenger. And that's with Progressive. Would probably be double anywhere else.

Several regular insurance companies have their own brand of collectible vehicle insurance (State Farm, Farmers, Allstate) because it's a profitable line of business for qualifying vehicles. There may be some agency repped companies that do it. I don't know. In my day it was either qualify for the special programs or pay full rate with regular insurance for whatever you had.

As the local chapter president I get calls on this fairly often, I could see it being worth an agents time in the long run

It isn't. Not if you expect an independent agent to offer one vehicle to his carriers looking for a premium of just a few hundred for a collectible. Especially when he knows what the answer is going to be.

I googled specifically for classic truck insurance. The usual suspects requiring a garage building came up. Then there's this one.

Classic, Antique and Vintage Truck Insurance (classicins.com)

I've never heard of the company and don't know anything about it. They don't put their qualifiers on the front page but it's worth a shot, I guess.

I think a lot of owners would be satisfied just to get liability coverage at a reasonable rate.

I've heard that before. It's not going to happen. Not on a collector vehicle policy anyway. There's no money in writing just the liability coverage. The liability portion on my Viper is only $50.

The whole idea behind the collector vehicle program is a full coverage package for hobbyists who qualify for the strict underwriting. Fall outside the parameters and you are stuck with regular insurance at regular rates.

Sorry to be such a downer, but that's how it goes.

Nice truck BTW.

Last edited:
Standard automotive insurance companies want to insure them as commercial vehicles, which they are not,

I bet in many states the GVW or number of axels or both actually do make these commercial vehicles by statute or policy contract definition

somewhat reminds me of all the trouble people have getting all these $10k to $50k street legal golf carts insured as the statutes & policy definitions don’t always have a way to classify or insure them. The cost to change for such small target market or risk/reward leaves many unable to get insurance after buying or putting a lot of money into it

It's an eternal dilemma
I think it is a big deal & important, but not sure it rises to having eternal implications as to making it to heaven, hell or nowhere. Please cite chapter & verse................lol, just kidding, I am in a sarcastic mood today for sure. Much better to get it out with strangers on the forum than my wife

Back