RSSA Certification

I'm curious about this I have been getting a lot of emails from a mail house saying this is the future of Medicare sales and the way people are getting in front of clients in todays market

Does an insurance agent's E&O insurance cover them if they are sued for giving bad advice about Social Security matters?

Does a Medicare Insurance Agent managing a book, dealing with Medicare Regulations, dealing with Medigap underwriting rules for different carriers, learning senior citizen medications, understanding pros and cons of various PDP's and MAPD's, and responding to client questions have the time to learn Social Security rules too, at a level necessary to be a credentialed, consumer facing Social Security expert?

It seems to me like there would be the potential for a serious legal risk and unproductive time drain for a small one or two person Medicare agency to try to be credentialed Social Security experts as well as Medicare experts.

It could very well be a different matter for a larger Medicare/ACA agency or a larger wealth advisory firm who has the staff for Investment Advice, Financial Mangement, Legal Advice, Medicare Advice and Enrollment Help, and Tax Preparation.

Does an insurance agent's E&O insurance cover them if they are sued for giving bad advice about Social Security matters?

This was my first question when an agent asked me about this last week.

Fortunately, in our shop, our owner is a financial advisor who doesn't handle Medicare cases anymore, It makes for a great internal referral source from both sides of the business.

Our clients appreciate our specific focuses and we are better at our crafts rather than jack-of-all-trades.

This was my first question when an agent asked me about this last week.

Fortunately, in our shop, our owner is a financial advisor who doesn't handle Medicare cases anymore, It makes for a great internal referral source from both sides of the business.

Our clients appreciate our specific focuses and we are better at our crafts rather than jack-of-all-trades.
You didn't answer his question

Has anyone here gone through the certification process? Worthwhile investment or not?

I don't see the point.

Boomers don't seem to get all that impressed with titles and designations.

SS planning is found more on the life side than the Medicare side. And you can get all the training and marketing materials from the life companies.

I'll email you some stuff that I use.

I know an agent who recently went through the course ($2500 + $500year) and is impressed with the report information. He used it for clients who have already enrolled in SSA benefits, so no way of knowing how it will work with t65 prospects.

I like the concept but the $$ seems a bit high.

One thing to consider is how well it will work with phone sales. I would think this is better for F2F, but that is just a guess.

I believe the "certification" is part of the package.

I doubt I will do this, doesn't seem to be a fit for my business model.

Has anyone here gone through the certification process? Worthwhile investment or not?

Years ago there was a company who developed Social Security planning software. The name was Social Security Timing. They offer the software for $50 per month. It's great if that's your market. But it really is used more in the income planning side of things versus the Medicare side of things.

It depends on several factors. The e&o carrier, the agent's level of coverage as well as the advice he was giving out.
It seems to me like there would be the potential for a serious legal risk and unproductive time drain for a small one or two person Medicare agency to try to be credentialed Social Security experts as well as Medicare experts.
Just the opposite. Basic SS information is included in a life and health agent's training. Continuing Ed courses are taught on it.

Back