Sales is not a numbers game, it's a game of skill!

I just received and started reading the book "You can't teach a kid to ride a bike at a seminar" by David Sandler and I wanted to add an excerpt to this post that might be relevant.

"sales trainers have promulgated the idea that it's a salesperson's duty to sell by the numbers. Give presentation after presentation to anyone who will listen and eventually someone will buy! I'm prepared to tell you that's all wrong. Theres' no self esteem in that kind of selling."

I like this guy!
:yes:

Of course sales is a numbers game. It is also a game of skill.

'All the world's a stage'. Ever hear that? No actor goes onstage without a script. Why do salespeople? Are they smarter than the actor. We're all actors. Your future hasn't been written yet - make it a good one.

And they don't seem to learn, partly because of the great vague advice here on the forum, that clients close themselves, and call everyone you can, eventually you'll sell something. Quite encouraging.

Here's another good insight, in my opinion:

Amount Of Calls You Do a Key Indicator To Success

By Joe Crisara - ContractorSelling.com

Think about the treasure trove of information that the statistics of selling will provide you. Your correct interpretation of these basic numbers can help you to evaluate where you are, improve your sales approach and eventually improve your results.

Take for instance, a very simple calculation that everyone can do by simply looking at your time sheet or call log. That key indicator is very easy to see but sometimes confusing to analyze. However, I feel it may be the most important of all.

The Amount Of Calls Per Day -- What can we learn about our selling approach by this very simple statistic? Understand that doing more calls is NOT a badge of honor. If you are the one in your company who does the most calls per week then you are probably the least productive in terms of revenue per call.

Why? Think about it. If you sold more on each job you would be forced to write up contracts, attend to the job, order parts and eventually do the work and collect payment. In essence, if you were selling more on each call then you would do less driving and more working. You would do fewer calls but make more money.

Pride yourself on doing the fewest calls per day but with the highest revenue per call. This will not only make you more successful, it will also make your company more profitable. It will also indicate that your customer is getting what they want and that is more and better service from you.

Depends on your lead source. In a perfect world, all the leads would be prequalified and have enough money, time, and need to listen to your sales pitch.
In the real world, not everyone is an "A" lead, so the person who makes the most calls weeds out the "B" and "C" leads the quickest and usually makes the most money.

Latest posts

Back