Selling Life Insurance to African Americans

Why do you guys always mock "ebonics" everytime you mention blacks? It's annoying and comes across as condescending and slightly racist. You all talk like your clients are scum. Hope they never Google the wrong thing and hit this forum. "These people", "Surance man", "gubmint check"...you all constantly bash the same people that enable your livelihood. It's kinda funny because as an FE agent you're consider a "lesser agent " to those that deal in more complex cases...guess you need to transfer that thinking over to your clients huh? Before anyone asks...no, it isn't this particular post...it's a constant thing. I've been following this forum for 2 years now

Why do you guys always mock "ebonics" everytime you mention blacks? It's annoying and comes across as condescending and slightly racist. You all talk like your clients are scum. Hope they never Google the wrong thing and hit this forum. "These people", "Surance man", "gubmint check"...you all constantly bash the same people that enable your livelihood. It's kinda funny because as an FE agent you're consider a "lesser agent " to those that deal in more complex cases...guess you need to transfer that thinking over to your clients huh? Before anyone asks...no, it isn't this particular post...it's a constant thing. I've been following this forum for 2 years now

or49dh.gif

This is good dialogue.

Without a doubt, Final Expense Agents have garnered a reputation in the industry. Sad, but true.

However, back to the point, I firmly believe the reason why life insurance is so important in the African American community is two fold.

1.) Strong Family Values
2.) Deep Religious Roots

The notion that they are more susceptible to scams, is about the most idiotic thing I've heard. I can see seniors (regardless of race) being categorized in this manner, but not an entire race. Whoever believes this wont make it in the industry, or any commission based sales opportunity. You have to be a"people person".

I firmly believe the articles shared strongly lean to a culture that wants to leave a strong family legacy, and have a "home going" celebration with specific cultural nuances.

These references should also guide agents of how to market to and sell to the African American community. For example, I have personally found, that less people of African American decent lean towards cremation.

Why pick on FE agents? Mark Zuckerberg is on record as describing the billions of Facebook users as "suckers". That's right, he described his own customers (the ones who make him filthy rich) as "suckers"! You only need a basic understanding of how Facebook makes money to get his point.

p.s.- I am not personally one of the Facebook suckers. Are you? And if so, get the hell off your high horse!:idea:

Why pick on FE agents? Mark Zuckerberg is on record as describing the billions of Facebook users as "suckers". That's right, he described his own customers (the ones who make him filthy rich) as "suckers"! You only need a basic understanding of how Facebook makes money to get his point.

p.s.- I am not personally one of the Facebook suckers. Are you? And if so, get the hell off your high horse!:idea:

Well, its obviously upsetting to some to be called "suckers", so why follow suit?

Regardless, I dont use Facebook.

I asked this question a while back to a few of my African American agent friends.. this goes back to watts riots and civil rights movement when they were suffering discrimination. Only companies back then that they realize that did not discriminate against them was insurance companies as they did paid claims back then regardless of race or creed. Back when I used to work for a debit company, older African American folks would insure everyone even their niece, nephews and second line families. The only issue was being in low income areas, policies would be small or they would have a hard time making premium amounts.

As a Latino, my market is harder to tap due to the mentality that the man of the house will die and the wife will take the money and run away with Sancho aka the secret lover. It's a silly thought but Latino parents due drill you in the head to never trust anyone especially who you marry because of those instances.

Love the insurance world, it's fascinating!

I asked this question a while back to a few of my African American agent friends.. this goes back to watts riots and civil rights movement when they were suffering discrimination. Only companies back then that they realize that did not discriminate against them was insurance companies as they did paid claims back then regardless of race or creed. Back when I used to work for a debit company, older African American folks would insure everyone even their niece, nephews and second line families. The only issue was being in low income areas, policies would be small or they would have a hard time making premium amounts.

As a Latino, my market is harder to tap due to the mentality that the man of the house will die and the wife will take the money and run away with Sancho aka the secret lover. It's a silly thought but Latino parents due drill you in the head to never trust anyone especially who you marry because of those instances.

So, if mom is busy teaching her son that, does that mean SHE has a side Sancho? Why else would she be teaching her son not to trust his future wife, besides the typical 'No one is good enough for my boy'? ;)

While the insurance companies made have paid claims without regard to race, they certainly discriminated. I started on the debit in 1971 and at that time the "black rate book" for life insurance had been "retired" for just a few years. We still had a sick and accident series that was not sold to whites.

As for the fact that blacks are more likely to own enough insurance to pay for their FE than whites has nothing to do with education or Blacks being more gullible or susceptible to being ripped off. It has to do with a different culture when it comes to death. They have more of a "celebration" attitude as a whole than whites and the nature of their funeral is more likely to be see as a reflection of their status in life. One small thing that illustrates the difference, I have never been a white funeral in the last 20 years where the funeral home family car was used by the family. On the other hand, I have never been to a black funeral where it wasn't used.

He didn't call them "suckers". He called them Dumb F*cks. Facebook CEO Admits To Calling Users 'Dumb Fucks'

He didn't call them "suckers". He called them Dumb F*cks. Facebook CEO Admits To Calling Users 'Dumb Fucks'

My bad! You know how that "whisper down the lane" stuff goes. This phenomena is currently at play concerning the Russians and the election. The blacks have gone from thinking the Russians "influenced" the election to now I'm hearing that the Russians outright rigged the voting machines.:laugh::wacko:

p.s.- Of course if they and other Trump haters had bothered to vote, Donald would be sitting back home in New York right now.:yes:

Back