Selling LTC Online: Whats Needed?

The best question to ask on the phone or in person, then shut up and listen is.....

"Why do you think you might want long term care insurance?"

No charge for this tidbit guys and gals. I just felt like contributing to the betterment of mankind this morning. :1cool:

The best question to ask on the phone or in person, then shut up and listen is.....

"Why do you think you might want long term care insurance?"

No charge for this tidbit guys and gals. I just felt like contributing to the betterment of mankind this morning. :1cool:

I like that question too.

Sometimes they say something like, "I don't know, I'm getting older" or "I was just curious to get some quotes/prices"

I'd be curious how others handle those types of vague responses.

Of course I try to open things up a bit and get more of a "solid" reason with more questions. Its been said before though the product is not sold to someone that doesn't already see the need, typically.

Reminds of a LTC sales trainer, has some techniques, one called "manifold" questioning or something like that. Maybe somebody has used this?

I found those hard to master, but sounded effective.

Last edited:
Sometimes you've got to "drill down" to get to the crux of the matter. If it were me...

"I don't know, I'm getting older"
And "getting older" means?

"I was just curious to get some quotes/prices"
I see. Most of the companies that sell this stuff are going to be pretty similar in price. There must be something besides the price that's important?

Keep this in mind: the problem they bring you is never the real problem.

Most of the companies that sell this stuff are going to be pretty similar in price.

The prices usually vary by about 75%. So, that would be an incorrect response.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I like that question too.

Sometimes they say something like, "I don't know, I'm getting older" or "I was just curious to get some quotes/prices"

Of course I try to open things up a bit and get more of a "solid" reason with more questions. Its been said before though the product is not sold to someone that doesn't already see the need, typically.

Reminds of a LTC sales trainer, has some techniques, one called "manifold" questioning or something like that. Maybe somebody has used this?

I found those hard to master, but sounded effective.

fyi... nearly every leading LTCi sales trainer doesn't sell LTCi anymore.

why someone would pay several hundred dollars for someone to "train them how to sell" a product that the trainer hasn't sold in years, is beyond me. What worked 10 years ago, doesn't work anymore. PERIOD.

The next time an "LTCi sales trainer" offers you to buy their training ask them "How much LTCi did you sell last year?"

Then, if you really want to mess with them, ask them:

"When was the last time you bought a lead and tried to sell an LTCi policy to that person?"

mrsed

Last edited:
You're missing the point, it doesn't matter.

The response is only designed to elicit additional facts from the prospect as to what other issues may be important in their buying decision.

by giving them wrong information you lose credibility.

you tell them that the prices are "all nearly the same".
then I explain to them the reality that prices are "all over the place" and I show them that....

I get the biz... you don't.

by giving them wrong information you lose credibility.

you tell them that the prices are "all nearly the same"
Geez are you anal or what? The point is that THE QUESTION DOESN'T MATTER - it's the ANSWER that's important.

So, say this: "Mr. Prospect, there can be some differences in prices between companies, but there must be something else that's important too..."

then I explain to them the reality that prices are "all over the place" and I show them that....
I get the biz... you don't.
Highly doubtful. I would have gotten any price problems out of the way quickly - near the start. In addition, I would have them moving forward, with not much chance of them having to "see another agent." You don't get the biz then.

I get what Ed is saying. Obviously being a veteran in the ltc arena, he knows the ins and the outs.
Say Ed, what do you use for leads for ltc?

I also see what Paul was talking about, which was kinda slick, maybe not for the ltc area but I do believe it would work with other lines of insurance, but the point was to find something else besides price that will elicit an explicit need.

Kinda interesting how people do ltci over the phone.

Back