selling

As I struggled when I was new in the business, I got some great advice:

"Pick a wide demand product and take off running with it! Build a clientele, treat them well, and help them with other needs as you go."

As I struggled when I was new in the business, I got some great advice:

"Pick a wide demand product and take off running with it! Build a clientele, treat them well, and help them with other needs as you go."

Some excellent advise.

If you can discipline yourself to focus on making clients, as opposed to making sales, you'll do fine.

When you use this approach, some interesting things happen. I had lunch with a client yesterday, and he insisted on paying the check. Gives you some idea that they see your value.

If you can discipline yourself to focus on making clients, as opposed to making sales, you'll do fine.

Therein lies the challenge . . . especially to folks who gravitate to the insurance business from other sales positions.

Most of the sales jobs are one time transactions. In some cases you may get repeat business or referrals but that is rare.

Sometimes, especially when money is tight, it is difficult to focus on the needs of the client when your stomach is growling and your cell phone has been cut off because you didn't pay the bill.

Wow, I can take this thread to heart! I'm amazed at how many people want me to sell their product because it's tailor made for insurance agents.

Prepaid legal comes to mind. I always get 'offers' to be a prepaid legal person, since I am there to help my clients already, and it offers so much more protection, and I can make a lot of money, etc, etc. They forget the fact that I figure I have 30 minutes of my clients time before they get fidgety... and I need all 35 of those 30 minutes, I don't want to water it down.

Focus.... stay focused. Good thought for the day. Tomorrow, we'll talk about making sure you are properly diversified to weather any changes that may come your way :)

Dan

100% agree. Good post.

I've dabbled in other areas, even in other areas of insurance and it turned out to be a total waste of time. I'm approached all the time, mostly for MonaVie (huge over here for some reason) and PrePaid Legal.

Does anyone want to buy my SA8 cleaning supplies? I will make you a good deal and throw in some Melaleuca shampoo for free.

There's plenty enough to do with an insurance license I wouldn't fool with anything else. Besides, insurance is the original MLM. Personally, I'm penetrating the senior market. First with MA on the internet and now with annuities, both in home presentations and lunch seminars. There are going to be plenty of seniors needing reverse mortgages so I will have that. It just so happens that I am professional and talented enough to make it work.

Back