Seminar Idea

Were you joking when you said "when a lead gets cold its worthless"?

We should all plan to meet somewhere. I'll bring the beer and the boxing gloves:D

Yep, sure was, I should have put "worthless" in quotation marks. That as you well know is a common assessment by agents, especially new ones.

I recycle my leads all the time.

I’ll bring the pretzels and tomato juice for the "southern boys". I know a lot of guys who live in the south that mix tomato juice with their beer. Is it a southern thing? I had never heard of it until I went to college. I'm from "up north".

All kidding aside, I really think that this group could put on one hell of a seminar.

Here is what I have decided. I am not going to market to the individual agents. My goal is to find the GA's and MGA's that put multiple agents under them. Contact them and sell them on the idea of having me come to thier office and "train" thier new agents. I'll charge a nominal fee for my services and will be able to test out my presentation. Then after I have established a reputation with these groups I will find a reasonably priced location and have a real seminar. My goal right now is to find a few "Agency Managers" in my area that are trying to build thier business by having agents under them. My fees will be $1,000 for just the presentation and an additional $50 per participant for materials. I think that I can find a few managers willing to pay me to train thier agents. A manager would make that money back with only 2-3 sales. What do you think?

I wish you well. That is something I have though about doing for a long time. Please let us know how it goes.

I kind of "tested the water" several years ago and got turned down cold. I had the feeling that they wouldn't let someone else do it regardless of the cost.

Most of them said they wanted their agents trained their way and felt that they could do a better job than I could. Maybe they can. However, I wouldn't lie to them. I think that was their biggest fear, that I would tell them the truth.

Why not just put them under you? As in free seminar and training in exchange for the overrides?

That would be my suggestion, however, I also tried that and I discovered that I really don't make a good baby-sitter.

Like John when he said he tried to put agents under him, my production went down and my stress level went up. I made more money with less stress just selling and not trying to manage.

If I'm going to manage someone I want more than the GA override. I currently get 10% overrides for the people under me.

That would be my suggestion, however, I also tried that and I discovered that I really don't make a good baby-sitter.

Like John when he said he tried to put agents under him, my production went down and my stress level went up. I made more money with less stress just selling and not trying to manage.

That is a valid point, yet in other fields we trained and sent, if they were bothersome type they were told to leave. In other words you set the parameters well in advance on what help they'll recieve, such as monthly or weekly meetings. If they start calling daily you would have to explain politely or not so politely that it is their business in the end and they have to work thru it with resources you would of set up or resources they can dig up. In other words, yes you would loose some Agents becuase of this factor but the idea would be to keep the "Good Ones".

That is a valid point, yet in other fields we trained and sent, if they were bothersome type they were told to leave. In other words you set the parameters well in advance on what help they'll recieve, such as monthly or weekly meetings. If they start calling daily you would have to explain politely or not so politely that it is their business in the end and they have to work thru it with resources you would of set up or resources they can dig up. In other words, yes you would loose some Agents becuase of this factor but the idea would be to keep the "Good Ones".

I totally agree. My problem was finding the two or three "good ones". During one two day period St. Louis I interviewed 21 applicants and didn't find one that I wanted.

Here are some of the reasons: I don't want to drive more than 25 miles from home, I won't go on appointments if it is real hot outside. I will sweat all over my silk blouse. I only want qualified leads where the people are ready go buy. I want someone to set up my appointments, I'm "no good" on the phone but great in person. I can only work between 10am and 3:30pm Tues, Wed and Thurs. I only want to sell from home. I don't want to put too many miles on my car. I've heard them all. All the above came from "real" people.

The list goes on and on.

The only way to make it work putting agents under you is the brokerage concept of "here's you appointment paperwork - now don't call me again." You cannot actually offer detailed training and real support or you'll sink. Personal business goes in the toilet and the 20 agents you hired can't put 2 deals together in a week. When they do they charge back.

Frank nailed it on the head with the financial status of new agents. Over the course of three years of hiring a realistic number is 95% of my new agents did not have $300 a week for marketing money. 70% didn't have $100 a week and a lot were basically broke living check to check.

However, I'm sure with a proper mailing there are enough agents with money to pull off a seminar. If you took credit cards that would work better.

I totally agree. My problem was finding the two or three "good ones". During one two day period St. Louis I interviewed 21 applicants and didn't find one that I wanted.

Here are some of the reasons: I don't want to drive more than 25 miles from home, I won't go on appointments if it is real hot outside. I will sweat all over my silk blouse. I only want qualified leads where the people are ready go buy. I want someone to set up my appointments, I'm "no good" on the phone but great in person. I can only work between 10am and 3:30pm Tues, Wed and Thurs. I only want to sell from home. I don't want to put too many miles on my car. I've heard them all. All the above came from "real" people.

The list goes on and on.

What every independent agents needs to understand is they're running their own business. Think of it as a type of franchise situation - you buy a Subway and they provide the location, food, training and name. Same with being independent - you are provided with the products, training and company names.
I'm not too sure Subway corporate likes phone calls from the new owners going like this:

"This sucks. I've had three sandwich makers quit already. Also, I apparently have to advertise in local papers and offer specials. The problem is I'm dead broke so I don't have any adverting money. I also really don't like interviewing and hiring new help. I'm also being bugged all the time with small problems while I'm trying to relax at my pool. These assistant managers are real needy. To be honest, I'm really not into subs anyway. I'm more into Italian food."

Last edited:

The list goes on and on.

Yes, that is the headache! You simply run the promotion and seminar and if you can find one out of ten or twenty that sticks, consider yourself lucky. I'm not sure if it's a practical idea or not when it comes to Insurance and Seminars as being talked about, but I really can not see why it wouldn't work? Other Agencies, I hate to bring them up but NAA has turn over a lot of business in their Churn and Burn system, now if they offered real training and support with better products, would their business be better or worst?

Back