SEO for Insurance Websites

Nowadays I question the value of SEO.

I can't imagine how some agencies spend ~$10k/mo. on SEO when you can advertise with Adwords for the keywords you want to rank high for.

Not to mention, SEO can't rank your site higher than Adwords can.
View attachment 4303

But this post is not to say that SEO is ineffective or pointless. Actually, SEO is a great compliment to SEM. But if I only had $2k and I wanted to generate new business now, I'm allocating it towards SEM.

Finally, it will be interesting to see how Google continues to update its algorithm to prefer websites focused on delivering high-quality content. I predict we'll see SEO experts evolving into content marketers...

I'm currently running a test here in my geo-targeted area with google adwords. The cost per click is sky high because you have major players willing to spend $30-$70 per click and google won't adjust you to 'local traffic' when they know AIG will spend $50 per click.

What are your recommendations to drive low cost PPC?

I will be split testing Bing/Yahoo next, then going into Native Ads, direct media buys to local websites.

Also I don't hear much about email marketing, cold email marketing business owners and/pr running email newsletter ads with established sites?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

I'm currently running a test here in my geo-targeted area with google adwords. The cost per click is sky high because you have major players willing to spend $30-$70 per click and google won't adjust you to 'local traffic' when they know AIG will spend $50 per click.

What are your recommendations to drive low cost PPC?

I will be split testing Bing/Yahoo next, then going into Native Ads, direct media buys to local websites.

Also I don't hear much about email marketing, cold email marketing business owners and/pr running email newsletter ads with established sites?

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

I think you're on the right track by looking into Bing.

But back to your original question, everyone is going to immediately say long tail keywords. And I agree, but only partially. They work, but they won't get you the volume you need.

You have to play with the big boys, there's no way around it if you want your investment to make sense.

Knowing that achieving a high (7/10+) quality score (QS), you're going to pay significantly less for clicks. Focus on creating quality and relevant account from the start. Part of that entails having a strategy for digital advertising and significant keyword research.

Last edited:
companies/agencies wouldn't be willing to pay $100 a click for something people aren't clicking on!

You are referring to folks like eMedicare (or whatever they call themselves), carriers, national agencies, etc. Means nothing to those deep pocket folks to pay for clicks without regard to ROI.

Joe Agent won't be paying that kind of $$. The Joe Agent's of the insurance world will pi$$ away hundreds or thousands of dollars before they walk away. The agencies that SELL the idea of earning a fortune off PPC will continue to churn new fish with dreams of earning a fortune on PPC.

Same kind of shyster's that peddle SEO and promise page 1 results.

Plenty of suckers out there willing to fork over money until they learn they have been had.

Looks like you guys are interested in folks who are willing to pony up $2k - $5k per month for your services. Seems to me you are fishing in the wrong pond. Don't believe you will catch many here.
Infinity Leads | Newark, California | Client Reviews

The same way an insurance agent used direct mail making 6 figures off a 1% response rate. Look we can't teach you this stuff...

This should give more context: Google Advertising: Think Nobody Clicks on Google Ads? Think Again! | WordStream. It's old, but to my point, Adwords has vastly improved since then.
There's an infographic too but the point of the article is:

"Now, to be clear here, organic searches still get more clicks overall than paid search – but not all keyword searches are created equal. Keyword searches with high commercial intent – meaning, keywords where a searcher is looking to buy a product or service (for example: “buy stainless steel dishwasher”) – are worth far more to businesses than your basic informational keyword searches (for example: “who is Thomas Edison”). Our research found that for valuable, high commercial intent keywords, paid search advertising listings gave the “free” organic search listings a resounding beat-down. "

Back