Series 6 and 63

I have taken and passed the 6 & 63 on two separate occasions. The first time in 1989 they were both a piece of cake. The last time, in 2003,the 6 was still a piece if cake. I think I scored 92. The 63 was a different animal. I scored 75 which I thought was bad until I found out that my supervisor scored a 71 :yes:. The problem with the 63 was I didn't have very good study material and it asks a lot of stuff that for the life of me I can not imagine why anyone should have to know. My mode of study has always been just to just use a computer based quiz that lets me drill until I can score better than 80%. I have never ever cracked a book studying.

</IMG>

I agree, the 6 was very easy. I didn't really spend much time at all studying for it and passed on my first attempt. The 63 was tougher for exactly the reason xrac says: there is crap on there that no person should ever have to know and study materials, for me at least, were a thin section in the back of the 6 study guide.

To be able to take the Serier 6 you will need to be sponsored by a B/D.
Do you have to be sponsor by a B/D to take the series 63 too? Can I take the 63 without being sponsor or is it just for the series 6? I am new to this and want to make sure what I need to do.Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for posting. I have been series 24 licensed for about three years now, and have managed many brokers. I even started my own B/D (piggybacked on my IMO) to increase my GDC, and found it almost impossible to break even.

I am considering letting my 24 go this year. What do you think?

There are a lot of people who are punting the securities license all together with a lot of them going the RIA route.

Currently the InvestmentNews has the following article. If they are current and my gut tells me they are it is even more reason to reconsider securities license. Of course the biggest argument to keep the license is to help people move money out of the market.

Financial markets face a lost generation of investors

Collateral damage from economic crisis has long-term impact
Financial markets face a lost generation of investors - Investment News

There are a lot of people who are punting the securities license all together with a lot of them going the RIA route.

Currently the InvestmentNews has the following article. If they are current and my gut tells me they are it is even more reason to reconsider securities license. Of course the biggest argument to keep the license is to help people move money out of the market.

Financial markets face a lost generation of investors

Collateral damage from economic crisis has long-term impact
Financial markets face a lost generation of investors - Investment News

In surrendering my 24; I would stil keep my 7. To keep the 24 current I have twice the CE credits, twice the compliance meetings, and E&O costs twice as much.

I took the 7 and 66 back to back. The 7 I over-studied for and the 66 I hardly studied at all. the first thing I would do if I were you is take the chapter exams for each chapter BEFORE you begin studying. Chances are there's a bunch of crap you already know in there. Then you can concentrate solely on the chapters you don't know.

Back