Short-term Individual DI for a Correctional Officer

Notquiteright

Hey guys, I know that there are some threads that are similar to this already posted, but I didn't want to hi-jack one with the specifics of this case. I have a 29 year old, healthy, correctional officer looking for a short-term DI policy. Gross income is about $60k, so looking for a monthly benefit of $2500 or so. Any ideas, or is this type of policy just not out there? Thanks.

I know that Assurity will accept him as a long-term client, but I don't know if they have anything available for a more short-term need. Also, they told that government employees in CA are limited to a maximum benefit of $1000/month. I haven't looked at disability policies in a long time, but that was a new one on me.

I know that Assurity will accept him as a long-term client, but I don't know if they have anything available for a more short-term need. Also, they told that government employees in CA are limited to a maximum benefit of $1000/month. I haven't looked at disability policies in a long time, but that was a new one on me.

Short term meaning: short waiting period or a short holding period for the policy?

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. Short term meaning coverage for a disability period of, say, 6 weeks as opposed to 2 years. Client is more worried about something like a knee surgery that'll keep him out for a couple of months than a really long, protracted thing where'll he need benefits paid out for a few years.

I wish you the best of luck searching for this product...Its rare to find a STD policy that is not group or a voluntary offering...I am aware that Mutual of Omaha offers a STD policy that is stand alone, not sure about your Corrections officer...You might want to check into any possible association offerings.

Hey, Norwayguy, thank you so much for the MoO suggestion! I got the chance to run the client by their underwriting today and, pending a little more info from the client, it looks like we found a fit. Really appreciate the tip, because I was totally stumped.

Back