carlton94563

Expert
I am going to become a full-time traveler, aka nomad, aka full-time RV'er. I will not have a permanent address or home. Fortunately, the state of South Dakota is friendly to our kind and have passed laws to give us SD residency and vehicle/RV registration without having a physical presence there. This is a win for them as they want all the registration fees and excise tax from RV's along with no infrastructure use by us. All you need to do is use a mail forwarding service, such as a The UPS Store, in the state which can forward your mail to any address you are at, via USPS General Delivery, for example. Similar states are Texas and Florida. All are tax free, and full-time RV'ers, who are often retirees, flock there to register their RV's and get a driver's license.

Regarding insurance, certain companies, such as Progressive, now offer full-timer RV insurance which covers your RV, be it a motorhome, 5th wheel, travel trailer, truck camper, or tear drop trailer, as well as its contents, plus your tow car. They acknowledge you do not have a garaging zip code and will travel the country. Insurance is only slightly higher than regular auto insurance, and comes with a ton of extra benefits, such as GAP coverage and trip interruption coverage.

Here is the problem: many full-timers, such as myself, do not have an actual RV, but use a cargo van, minivan, or even car to live in and travel the country. There are tons of such people who have YouTube channels. You cannot insure these autos with Progressive under the RV insurance unless they have officially been converted with running water and power and perhaps registered with the state DMV as an RV of some sort. The common thing to do is just give the insurer your South Dakota driver's license address, which is your commercial mail forwarding service, as your garaging address and go from there. The insurer assumes you live there, but it is just a mailbox and you are actually traveling the country.

If I tell them the truth, there is no way they would insure me or similar people, since they have to put down a garaging zip code of some sort. Some insurers even want to know where your car is parked at night: garage, drive way, street, parking lot, or carport.

So people like me have no choice but to lie in order to get insurance. I also would lie and tell them I am a home owner, since I own my car, which is my home.

Please help me so I can be legally insured and follow all the proper rules.I don't want to lie.

Also, who are the auto insurers in South Dakota? Progressive, Geico and State Farm I know of. But Ameriprise by Costo does not insure there.

I am going to become a full-time traveler, aka nomad, aka full-time RV'er. I will not have a permanent address or home. Fortunately, the state of South Dakota is friendly to our kind and have passed laws to give us SD residency and vehicle/RV registration without having a physical presence there. This is a win for them as they want all the registration fees and excise tax from RV's along with no infrastructure use by us. All you need to do is use a mail forwarding service, such as a The UPS Store, in the state which can forward your mail to any address you are at, via USPS General Delivery, for example. Similar states are Texas and Florida. All are tax free, and full-time RV'ers, who are often retirees, flock there to register their RV's and get a driver's license.

Regarding insurance, certain companies, such as Progressive, now offer full-timer RV insurance which covers your RV, be it a motorhome, 5th wheel, travel trailer, truck camper, or tear drop trailer, as well as its contents, plus your tow car. They acknowledge you do not have a garaging zip code and will travel the country. Insurance is only slightly higher than regular auto insurance, and comes with a ton of extra benefits, such as GAP coverage and trip interruption coverage.

Here is the problem: many full-timers, such as myself, do not have an actual RV, but use a cargo van, minivan, or even car to live in and travel the country. There are tons of such people who have YouTube channels. You cannot insure these autos with Progressive under the RV insurance unless they have officially been converted with running water and power and perhaps registered with the state DMV as an RV of some sort. The common thing to do is just give the insurer your South Dakota driver's license address, which is your commercial mail forwarding service, as your garaging address and go from there. The insurer assumes you live there, but it is just a mailbox and you are actually traveling the country.

If I tell them the truth, there is no way they would insure me or similar people, since they have to put down a garaging zip code of some sort. Some insurers even want to know where your car is parked at night: garage, drive way, street, parking lot, or carport.

So people like me have no choice but to lie in order to get insurance. I also would lie and tell them I am a home owner, since I own my car, which is my home.

Please help me so I can be legally insured and follow all the proper rules.I don't want to lie.

Also, who are the auto insurers in South Dakota? Progressive, Geico and State Farm I know of. But Ameriprise by Costo does not insure there.
Talk with a multi line insurance agency.. As for lying, the answer is no, not if you want paid if you have a claim.

Question - What do you do for income and food?

How is that a relevant question?

It isn't.

However, my take away from your post is you are asking how to scam insurance companies. I may be way off. I have a number of long-term RV'g clients. While some have some very nice rigs and some much smaller and simple rigs none are sleeping in there car or minivan full time.

"" If I tell them the truth, there is no way they would insure me or similar people, since they have to put down a garaging zip code of some sort. ""

"" So people like me have no choice but to lie in order to get insurance. I also would lie and tell them I am a home owner, since I own my car, which is my home. ""

You definitely have a choice. Self Insure or pick a different lifestyle.

OK, I googled it. people that choose to travel the country and live in their cars - Google Search
Not something this old guy would pick but also not my business as long as I am not somehow paying for it.

I could be way off on this. But again, I read "" So people like me have no choice but to lie " Hell, I guess not that different from someone hiking across the country for the summer.

One more piece.

Risk.
One couple is retired and traveling the country on their savings.
Another couple is homeless on SSI and foodstamps. Traveling the country because they have nowhere to live.

Equal risk? Should the premium be the same?

There is a member here, or at least was a member-may have sold the agency-rver or something like that. I'd suggest looking up their site - and see if they provide other insurance for rv'rs beyond med supps.

Just searched and found it-There is an auto ins box on the home screen:
Main - RVer Insurance Exchange

Back