Slander From Past Agents

Re: Slander

Seems to be the old stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like I said, if I were to file suit, I could about guarantee they would counter file with some BS suit just to try to drain money out of me in legal fees... I don't have legal shield, but does anyone know if there is a waiting period after you purchase it before you can use it? I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

You might be surprised.

Did you have an agreement to arbitrate in your agreement with them or no? If so, that's a really cheap way to start legal action.

I've actually been in a similar situation to yours and resolved it with the previous employer. Although I'm sure there are some major differences, you're getting some pretty bad advice on here.

Do you have a master client list?

Best thing you can probably do at this point is document everything and notify them in writing that you're aware of what's going on and advise them to stop. You might also want to look into what they're saying because it is very difficult to prove defamation in any form, especially verbally. If there is any shred of truth to what they're saying or if it's subjective, it's likely not slanderous. If you do have an agreement to arbitrate in your employment arrangement with them, I'd get that ready and advise them that if they don't stop making the claims they do that you intend to take action.

A few points:
-Your non-compete is probably junk, but even if it's not, it doesn't prevent you from talking to them. The non-compete prevents you from stealing the business, not having conversations with them. To take that a step further, even if you weren't supposed to talk to them (which isn't the case), you have a legitimate legal reason for speaking to them and that would trump it anyway. For example, process servers generally cannot be convicted of trespassing because they had a legal reason to be there. If you have pending litigation or are considering litigation and are investigating accusations being made about you, that's a legitimate reason to be talking to them. I would however avoid selling them anything for obvious reasons.

-Odds are what they're saying isn't going to hurt you that much. You mention another agent having troubles, but do you know if they actually did anything wrong?

-Generally the DOI isn't going to get involved in matters like this, they are civil matters.

-Absent an agreement to arbitrate in your contract, you can likely file a small claims suit for the maximum amount fairly inexpensively and spend some time talking to an attorney to help you layout your claim. Is it worth the hassle? Probably not, but it is a less expensive option than traditional litigation.

-If they really do have a history of filing suit against agents for frivolous purposes, that would likely work in your favor.

Best advice: Most counties have a bar referral service that will give you either a free consultation or a substantial discount on the hourly rate for a consultation which will give you the advice of an attorney in your area more familiar with the way those courts work. If you do believe there is a chance you will find yourself in the misfortune of being attacked that way, I wouldn't hesitate to find a local attorney that offers free consultations or one from the bar referral service to get better insight from qualified individuals. Heck, you can probably find a few to give you a free consultation, might as well get a few opinions if you really believe this has the potential to turn ugly.

I've been told from a few of my old clients from the company I previously resigned from, that other agents from previous company have been coming and introducing themselves as their new agent. Problem being, they are telling them untrue, malicious things about me, and why I'm no longer working for them. I am held under a non compete and have been threatened to not contact any of my previous clients.

As far as I know, they are only verbally stating these things. I want this to stop immediately as I worked hard to build and maintain those relationships with my clients. I'm now independent, and do not want my reputation harmed by what they are saying. I know most would say to file suit for slander, but I have heard this is hard to prove in court. They are also notorious for filing bogus lawsuits against prior agents to attempt to drown them in legal fees. Looking for advice as I don't want to file slander suit to get them to stop, only to have them file some bogus suit against me that would inevitably cost me money to defend.

Sounds familiar, what state are you in?

When this happened to me a long while back, I did two things. First was a call to the OIC to explain what was going on. The Second was to an attorney I knew to write a letter.

The OIC made a call and threatened fines if they did not stop immediately. They responded to the attorney's letter with an apology and at the same time denile of any wrongdoing.

I really just wanted them to stop.

Cornelius! I was actually counting how quickly you would reply! :1wink:

My family "runneth over" with lawyers. I'll call those knuckleheads if I ever find myself in an emergency. In all fairness, PPL/LS letters really work wonders. I call them legal lubricants. :twitchy:

Yea I know.. I'm not thin skinned so I expect to get blasted on LS every now and then. I can handle it. I got my thick skin training from back in the days when I used to do battle with the anti-Primerica people on message boards.

well, NOW is the time to go after your old clients, if your non compete is up, thats the best way to get back at them.

Oh! The joys of working for and with some of these low-life bottom feeding insurance managers and agents. I have known a few in my day.

Seems to be the old stuck between a rock and a hard place. Like I said, if I were to file suit, I could about guarantee they would counter file with some BS suit just to try to drain money out of me in legal fees... I don't have legal shield, but does anyone know if there is a waiting period after you purchase it before you can use it? I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.
They probably then would wonder why you are going back to your old clients when you have a non-compete. I think I'm leaning towards doing nothing, like the others have said.
I would also notify the DOI , maybe in an anonymous fashion.

Back